4.1 CheckIn Question / Comments

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

nemoby

4.1 CheckIn Question / Comments

Post by nemoby » Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:26 am

VS2008 with the Enhanced Client

1. Is there any way to surpress the dialog box that appears when checking in a file? I can see this dialog appearing if comments are required but I don't have the option selected. There is no option to hide this dialog listed under the Command Dialogs settings in the Vault Options Settings.

2. I can't seem to get any of the CheckIn Silent keybord shortcuts working from Tools / Options / Environment / Keyboard.

3. Right clicking while in the code editing window used to bring up a menu that included CheckIn. Now that is on a Vault sub-menu. Just an extra step. Would be nice to list Vault Checkin and then the Vault Sub Menu with the other options on it.

4. The Check In Progress dialog box is badly clipped (the bottom is missing and cuts the progress bar) when used on a high DPI set monitor. Display Settings / Settings / Advanced / DPI setting. Looks fine at 96 DPI but is clipped at 120 DPI on windows Vista. Purely cosmetic.

Sorry I didn't point these out before you shipped.

-Andy

Beth

Post by Beth » Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:49 pm

1) Not that I'm aware of. I can add a feature request for that.

2) I'll need to pass that question on.

3) Right click in the solution explorer and you will get that menu.

4) I'll log a bug on that for the higher dpi.

ian_sg

Post by ian_sg » Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:39 am

I can comment on your second question. Those keyboard shortcuts are specific to MSSCCI clients, so I'm not surprised that they don't work with the enhanced client. We'll investigate making similar shortcuts available for the enhanced client, but I can't speculate as to when that might show up in a release.
Ian Olsen
SourceGear

nemoby

Post by nemoby » Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:22 pm

Ian,

Other anoyances: when I check in a file inside of VS with the classic client, it saves the file. The enhanced client does not. I have to acknoledge the save dialog, then the check in dialog and I have to click on the ok button. no way to get there via the keyboard. lots of extra steps. yuk!

I am sticking with the classic client for now.

nemoby

Post by nemoby » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:15 pm

One minor correction:

File.CheckInFile does work and I can assign a keyboard shortcut to it, but non of the others work.

I would really like a menu command that 1. saves the current file and then silently checks it in. This functionality is available in the Classic Client.

ian_sg

Post by ian_sg » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:25 pm

I've logged bugs for both of these. Thanks for the feedback.
Ian Olsen
SourceGear

ian_sg

Post by ian_sg » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:26 am

These concerns will be addressed for the 4.1.1 release. Specifically:

1) You can assign keyboard shortcuts for any of the enhanced client commands. This is possible in 4.1.0, but it's difficult to differentiate between the MSSCCI commands and the Enhanced Client commands. 4.1.1 just adds some text so you can differentiate them. However, the check in command listed in 4.1.0 works only on your current selection, so 4.1.1 will also add a commit all key binding (which you have to assign to use), so you can, with one keystroke, get a commit dialog with everything in the solution that's changed.

2) The save prompt is being removed. We'll save silently before any command that requires a save. As you pointed out, this is how MSSCCI clients behave and is no different than, for example, saving silently before a build.

In addition, we're adding a toolbar for the Enhanced client. People who got used to using MSSCCI's toolbar won't have to give that up in the Enhanced Client.
Ian Olsen
SourceGear

nemoby

Post by nemoby » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:43 am

Ian, Great news.

Thanks for adressing these issues. Any idea when we might see an update? My employer is looking to purchase 60ish licenses and I think it is the type of environment that is going to be difficult to install timely updates once we get going. I would rather wait a bit before we roll it out if we will see the update in the short term. Also, please let me know if you need some beta testing.

Thanks again, Andy

ian_sg

Post by ian_sg » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:03 am

I understand. Allowing a completely silent check in is worth consideration, but not something we can deliver in 4.1.1.

One other thing I forgot to mention: we'll also add a keyboard shortcut to submit the commit dialog from the comment text box. When the dialog comes up, the comment box has focus: pressing enter inserts line breaks rather than submitting. CTRL-Enter from the comment box, in 4.1.1, will submit the dialog. So if you assign CTRL-Shift-C to the commit all command, you can quickly commit your changes with CTRL-Shift-C, then CTRL-Enter, without ever reaching for the mouse.

We haven't yet announced a date for 4.1.1, but it won't require a server upgrade. So people who care to update their clients, can, without a massive synchronization effort.

If you'd like a pre-release version of the 4.1.1 client, email me (using the button below) and I can probably make one available with these changes later this week.

Thanks for the great feedback.
Ian Olsen
SourceGear