how to 'Resolve Merge Status' through the command line clie

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

resonance

how to 'Resolve Merge Status' through the command line clie

Post by resonance » Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:58 pm

We are using Vault through the command line client only.

When we attempt to check in and check out binary *.frx excel files
the file gets a 'Needs Merge' status (whether merge later or merge automatic or no merge tag is used)

I have set *.frx as an extension which is the Mergeable Files list in the Vault Admin Tool's Repository Options tab

It seems like getting the 'Needs Merge' status on a binary file is unavoidable as Vault cannot automatically merge binaries

The question is, how can I 'Resolve Merge Status', set the status of the file to 'Edited', through the command line.

Thanks for any suggestions at all.

Beth

Post by Beth » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:14 pm

In these cases, is more than one person working on that file? If you use exclusive locks on the checkouts so that there are no possible unknown changes checked in by someone else, then you can just use 'overwrite' with the merge option instead.

Otherwise, there isn't a resolve merge option in the command line client that I'm aware of.

resonance

Post by resonance » Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:37 pm

thanks but when i use -merge overwrite, the vault server does not seem to get updated and the version number does not change, even though the file was changed...isn't overwrite overwriting the local machine's file?

Beth

Post by Beth » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:13 pm

Sorry about that, you are correct. I reviewed the wrong area.

Have you checked out how working with the file works for you in the Vault GUI? Does it display the same problem with checking in? What happens when you perform a Show Merge on it?

resonance

Post by resonance » Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:32 pm

when using the vault gui and manually check out and check back in the binary there is no problem

using vault gui of show merge on a file whose status is 'needs merge', 'files are equivalent under the current RuleSet.'

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:47 pm

I would expect that if it's a binary file that it wouldn't be able to display correctly in the merge windows. Can you show a screenshot?

resonance

Post by resonance » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:03 pm

right. nothing visible when i choose 'Show Merge' on a binary with "Needs Merge' status:

Beth

Post by Beth » Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:30 pm

You could open a Vault GUI, look in the pending check-in pane and right click the problem file and select "Resolve Merge" or you can try performing a Get on the file and having it perform a merge to the file on disk to see if it will merge for you there, and then check it in.

If you have multiple users working on the same file though instead of exclusively checking out, this could cause some problems, as you may just overwrite their changes they made if you aren't merging, but just resolving the merge status. Take a look at the history of that file and see if there has been a check-in during the time that you had the file checked out.

resonance

Post by resonance » Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:39 pm

thanks for taking the time to look into this.

because we need to use Vault only through the command line and not with the GUI it seems the answer to my question, "how can I 'Resolve Merge Status', set the status of the file to 'Edited', through the command line." is that there is no way to do this.

Beth

Post by Beth » Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:44 pm

The first thing you should probably do here is remove that type of file from the mergeable files list. When you "Resolve Merge Status" you're not performing a merge, you are just removing the "Needs Merge" status. By not having it mergeable, you shouldn't get a "Needs Merge."

Do you have multiple developers working on that file at the same time? Is it possible for them to perform exclusive checkouts?

Did your user that received that status have a working folder set and was the status not set at "Missing?"
Could that user be checking that file out in multiple locations?

You can't really "set the status" manually. The best thing would be to prevent the merging if you can.

Have you attempted performing a GET on that file with the Merge option? If that will merge fine, then you will be able to check in without a Needs Merge status.