Working offline and Renegade Files

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

GuyH

Working offline and Renegade Files

Post by GuyH » Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:10 am

I regularly work offline with various projects (using vault 4.1 enhanced client and vs2005/vs2008)

If i modify a large number of files while offline it takes me a long time to update the vault when i come back online as i have to manually scan for renegade flagged files, check them out, then check them in.

The vault pending changes window does not display these files.

Am i missing something? or is this how i must check my work in after working offline. In the old client it did this whole process for you, and my current process is proving quite cumbersome.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:01 am

It sounds like you might want to use CVS mode, instead of VSS mode, as files do not need to be checked out before they are checked in that mode. This is set in Visual Studio under tools->options-> source control ->Vault options
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

GuyH

Post by GuyH » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:17 am

lbauer wrote:It sounds like you might want to use CVS mode, instead of VSS mode, as files do not need to be checked out before they are checked in that mode. This is set in Visual Studio under tools->options-> source control ->Vault options
Thanks for the quick reply Linda.

do they still get merged if someone else has modified the file since you checked it out?

also - is there any documentation to properly explain all the concepts behind the vault operation methods. as i didnt find anything that explains this in the help. (hence why i posted)

I could really do with something to distribute to my developers that will give them a good "101" of source code control concepts in vault.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:46 pm

Yes, they will still get merged.

Here's a good intro to source control by SourceGear's founder, Eric Sink:

http://www.ericsink.com/scm/source_control.html
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

GuyH

Post by GuyH » Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:48 am

thanks for the link, that is perfect :)

lbauer