VS Solution file corrupted - Now what to do?

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

BBM

VS Solution file corrupted - Now what to do?

Post by BBM » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:18 am

Hi,

Earlier this week I "tried" something that I hadn't done before. I needed to leave my computer for awhile and wanted to keep my VS session running. So I used the Windows "Log Off" (from the Start Menu) thinking I'd be able to log in later and pick up where I left off.

VS crashed and I got a message that the update of my Solution file had an error. This Solution is under source control.

I attempted to open the Solution today, but only one of five Projects loads. All of the sources are still present on my local workstation, and in the Vault repository. The modified sources show as still checked out in Vault with modification dates that correspond to when I think I changed them. Ominously, the Solution file shows checked out (in the Vault Client), and modified on the day of the error, but it shows that it is 3Kb smaller.

I'm using VS 2005 and Vault 3.5. My workstation is a part of a Windows Domain, and Vault is installed on the Server.

How should I approach this? I don't want to "revert" to the last good version in Vault, because there are a lot of changes that I'd lose.

I don't think I've added or removed any Projects since the last check-in was done. Can I check-in all the sources that I think are good (from the Vault client), and then revert to the last good version from the repository ONLY for the Solution file?

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

BBM

Beth

Post by Beth » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:42 pm

It could just be a binding problem.
Have you attempted to unbind and rebind the entire solution?

BBM

Post by BBM » Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:53 am

No, I haven't tried that, but I think I fixed it.

I was able to use "Show Differences" on the Solution file from the Vault Client. It showed what I suspected... large parts of the Solution file in my working directory were missing.

I couldn't fix the Solution from "Show Differences" (apparently the VS Solution file is Read Only even though the properties of that file on my workstation don't show this).

But I was able to "Get Latest" and overwrite the working folder version with the one from the Repository. That seemed to work (my tests all pass), and I was subsequently able to do a "Check-in" of the entire Solution.

So I'm in good shape for now.

Obviously, if I want to "Log Off" again, I'll shut down VS first. But I don't think this should have crashed VS.

BBM

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:29 am

I'm not sure if VS crashing and the bindings being off are related or not, so I'll get this looked into. Thanks for the report on this.