FREE for a single user?

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

swells

FREE for a single user?

Post by swells » Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:32 am

Hi

I was researching this product as a possible alternative to VSS specifically for use with VS2008, but as it happens we also use Eclipse, so it looks to be a good fit.

But in passing I noticed the headline comment on the homepage for Valut as "FREE for a single user". I cannot find any other reference to this as the licensing quotes prices for 1 license onwards - can you clarify whether I can use Vault for FREE as a single user on my home PC for my own purposes? and if so how do I get a valid license?

Thanks

Stuart

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:37 am

You don't need a license for the single-user version as long as there is only one named user besides Admin.

See this KB article for details:

http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=252
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

nemoby

Post by nemoby » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:44 am

The same goes for Fortress.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:30 pm

That's right.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

swells

Post by swells » Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:11 am

Thanks for the prompt reply - I may well use this at home then.

We have today downloaded Vault and installed the server - we will import our existing VSS tomorrow/over the weekend and then test it next week remotely...it is partly the speed of the remote access that is of most interest as VSS in painful to use remotely.

Just a further thought...if I install the server/client at home and occasionally I work from home and need to remotely access my employers Vault would this cause any implications both technically and to licensing? I am assuming the client I would be using 'free' at home could also be pointed at a licensed repository remotely without affecting the free home installation?

Thanks

nemoby

Post by nemoby » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:37 am

Works fine. I use that very same scenario myself. No issues.

The only issue that you need to keep in mind is using the same server version at home that you use at work since you will only have a single client install.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:16 am

The only issue that you need to keep in mind is using the same server version at home that you use at work since you will only have a single client install.
That's right.

Licensing is handled on the Vault server side, so you can log in to other Vault servers as long as the server has a license for you.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

swells

Post by swells » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:20 am

Thanks you (both) once again for you prompt response...just to follow up on nemoby's comment - should I find myself in a position of wanting to connect to two or more different Vaults that are not the same version...

If I can't use a single Client (perhaps the newer of all the version's client always be backward compatable?) can I have multiple Clients (by version) on my machine to overcome this possibility?

Thanks

nemoby

Post by nemoby » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:38 am

Client versions need to match server versions but you can install multiple versions if you need to.

http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?p=15138

-Andy

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:54 pm

The registry edit only works for the Classic integration client. The Enhanced client writes to a different spot on the registry.

We need to update that KB article. I'll add that to the ToDo list.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear