There is an error in XML document error during login

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

snapjeff

There is an error in XML document error during login

Post by snapjeff » Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:34 pm

We are experiencing this ("There is an error in XML document (1,xxxxxxx)") error for several users during Vault login. As a result, these users cannot even login to Vault. It only seems to be an issue for users that are not in the same location as the server (i.e. in different states/countries). The problem seems to be getting worse.

Vault version: 4.0.5.15922

- Jeff

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:02 pm

What is the OS being used?
Was it working previously?
Have you checked your Vault Server Log for errors?

In this thread here, There is an error in XML Document, it turned out to be a routing issue for that user. You will want to check out the suggestions there as well.

snapjeff

Post by snapjeff » Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:20 pm

What is the OS being used?
The Vault server is 2003 and the clients are all XP.
Was it working previously?
It used to work fine.
Have you checked your Vault Server Log for errors?
The server log doesn't have an entry since the clients are not able to complete the login process.
In this thread here, There is an error in XML Document, it turned out to be a routing issue for that user. You will want to check out the suggestions there as well.
I had seen that thread, but it seemed to be Vista-related.

- Jeff

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:39 pm

In the start it focused on that, but it turned to the router towards the end.

Is it a case of where no computers in your location can connect?

I think if there's an attempt at a login and it fails, there should be something written to the server log, but if nothing at all is written, I would suspect that the communication never reaches it at all.

Do you know of a date when it started failing and giving you this error?
Did any updates or network changes happen over the weekend?

snapjeff

Post by snapjeff » Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:57 pm

Is it a case of where no computers in your location can connect?
Actually all users at my location are fine since the server is here as well. In the other locations it is not all users failing. It started with one or two but now there are reports of at least four failing.
I think if there's an attempt at a login and it fails, there should be something written to the server log, but if nothing at all is written, I would suspect that the communication never reaches it at all.
I will check the server log again tomorrow (once the server log is re-enabled - it turns off "all by itself" sometimes).
Do you know of a date when it started failing and giving you this error?
Did any updates or network changes happen over the weekend?
I don't know an exact date, but I know some users have had this issue for a couple of weeks. I'll check with I/T about network updates.

I had one user try turning off the proxy which worked for a few days, but now that user is failing again.

Would the client log provide any useful information?

- Jeff

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:33 pm

Starting client logging can't hurt if you wish. It still seems like it could be caused by a networking problem though. Something is interfering with the network data sent between Vault client and server.

Are the remote users that are having a problem all in the same location?
Do some remote users still work fine? If all locations have a problem, then the problem could be server side of the network, and that's where you'd want to check the routers and firewalls. If all the client problems are in one location, then you may wish to check their side as well.

Try using an IP address instead of the computer's name to connect and see if that makes a difference?

You may want to check the MTU on the Vault server/clients. There are a few tools that help with this, but we haven't checked them out:

"Dr. TCP" (http://www.dslreports.com/faq/578)

Also, http://help.expedient.com/broadband/mtu.shtml

snapjeff

Post by snapjeff » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:35 pm

Are the remote users that are having a problem all in the same location?
We have had problems at at least two locations. I don't know if the second location is having the problem at login or when choosing a repository, but I'll find out.
Do some remote users still work fine?
Yes, the majority of the remote users work fine.....so far.
Try using an IP address instead of the computer's name to connect and see if that makes a difference?
I will have them try that.

Beth

Post by Beth » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:23 pm

If that doesn't work, then check the MTU settings.

snapjeff

Post by snapjeff » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:02 pm

Update:
One of our locations (the one with the most Vault troubles) is working much better after frequent cache deletions.

At a different location - that has also had problems - a user turned on client logging and got the following results when trying to open different repositories:

"Good repository":
3/4/2008 1:33:21 PM <refresh>: [GUIClientWorkerThread:1648] Calling client service GetRepositoryStructure(26, 112155, -1, 1/22/2008 11:02:45 AM, ref, ref, ref)
3/4/2008 1:33:21 PM <refresh>: [GUIClientWorkerThread:1648] Client service GetRepositoryStructure returned: dtLatestCheck 1/22/2008 11:02:45 AM, nReturnDestRevision 112155, rd not null True

"Bad repository":
3/4/2008 1:34:22 PM <refresh>: [GUIClientWorkerThread:3380] Calling client service GetRepositoryStructure(7, 0, -1, 7/1/1850 12:00:00 AM, ref, ref, ref)
3/4/2008 1:34:49 PM <refresh>: [GUIClientWorkerThread:3380] GetRepositoryStructure caught exception: There is an error in XML document (1, 1944338).

In the "bad repository", the date passed is 7/1/1850, which looks a bit suspicious.

- Jeff

snapjeff

Post by snapjeff » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:54 am

Beth,

Does the log information help any?

Jeff

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:49 pm

Sorry I missed seeing that last reply. That is definitely strange.

If the information is coming from the client, then I could see clearing the cache cleaning that up. I wouldn't expect a user to need to do it more than once though.

Could the user that turned on their client logging clear their Clear Client Side Cache entirely except for cachemember_workingfolderassisgnments? Close Vault and Visual Studio first. Then open Vault and access the repository again and let me know the results?

snapjeff

Post by snapjeff » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:51 pm

I'll have them try the selective cache clearing.

Another manifestation of this same XML error produces the following in the client log:

System.InvalidOperationException: There is an error in XML document (1, 4420093). ---> System.IO.IOException: Unable to read data from the transport connection: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host. ---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host

It looks like the client was trying to get the repository structure.

The XML error only happens when users are working with two of our largest repositories; one with 184,000+ files, 12,000+ folders and 45,000+ revisions and the other with 136,000+ files, 18,000+ folders and 7,000+ revisions.

Any ideas with this one?

Beth

Post by Beth » Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:51 pm

What error in the server log corresponds to that?

The times I've seen that error, it was a firewall blocking or IIS periodically recycling. I could tell more on that one from the server log. Could you either post your server log here or email it to me at support at sourcegear.com with a link to this forum thread?

snapjeff

Post by snapjeff » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:38 am

I did not find anything in the server log relating to the error in the client log.

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:34 pm

There's two things that we're still thinking of here.
1) MTU settings. If the client is different than the router, it will be a problem.

2) Network card - If you are on Full -Duplex, change it to Half - Duplex. We've seen this clear up a lot of networking troubles for a machine.