Vault Client "Remote" Access

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

chris.bradley

Vault Client "Remote" Access

Post by chris.bradley » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:45 am

One of the features we use in vault is the ability to connect to our server from offsite whenever we need a change of atmosphere from the office.

Ever since we upgraded to 4.1 our access offsite has gone somewhat screwy. Whenever we make an action inside of Visual Studio that would require a vault connection (checkout, undo checkout, get latest, etc) we initially get a connection closed error message. Once we say ok to that we get a "do you want to work offline" prompt.

We say No to the offline prompt, make the exact same request again, and then everything goes through fine. Can you suggest anything we might be able to change to make this connect correctly the first time? It worked fine on 3.5...

Thanks,
Chris
Attachments
VaultConnectionClosed.JPG
VaultConnectionClosed.JPG (35.04 KiB) Viewed 42995 times
VaultConnectionOffline.JPG
VaultConnectionOffline.JPG (25.59 KiB) Viewed 42997 times

jeremy_sg

Post by jeremy_sg » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:11 am

Does changing the Use Expect: 100-Continue setting in Tools->Options->Network Settings in the Vault GUI client help you at all?

chris.bradley

Post by chris.bradley » Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:22 pm

Hey Jeremy, turning that flag on or off doesn't seem to make a difference.

Chris

jeremy_sg

Post by jeremy_sg » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:08 pm

Can you turn on Vault client logging to see if we can figure out where things are failing?

Also, do you get a failure when using the standalone GUI client?

chris.bradley

Post by chris.bradley » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:41 am

In the Vault Gui I occasionally get a message about a connection that should have been kept alive was closed.

I turned on logging and the only info I got in the VaultIDEClient was this...

3/26/2008 8:20:27 AM <generic>: [Main:2572] GetEntryAssembly() returned null; not logging assembly name

Nothing about the actual error when it happens.

jeremy_sg

Post by jeremy_sg » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:34 am

One thing that you could try is to disable keepalives on your IIS server. I think that some firewall or proxy is closing the connection underneath us, and disabling keepalives will help us to react better to that possibility.

chris.bradley

Post by chris.bradley » Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:32 am

Hey Jeremy,

I disabled Keep Alives on the server - didn't seem to accomplish much. I've had the IDE log running for a couple days and I have some more information available. Here's the log...

3/26/2008 8:20:27 AM <generic>: [Main:2572] GetEntryAssembly() returned null; not logging assembly name
3/26/2008 9:45:11 AM <generic>: [<No Name>:2168] SimpleLogger finalized
3/26/2008 9:45:35 AM <generic>: [Main:5912] GetEntryAssembly() returned null; not logging assembly name
3/26/2008 9:46:51 AM <generic>: [<No Name>:3092] SimpleLogger finalized
3/26/2008 9:47:39 AM <generic>: [Main:4596] GetEntryAssembly() returned null; not logging assembly name
3/26/2008 9:54:15 AM <generic>: [<No Name>:4700] SimpleLogger finalized
3/26/2008 9:54:38 AM <generic>: [Main:4356] GetEntryAssembly() returned null; not logging assembly name
3/26/2008 9:58:13 AM <generic>: [<No Name>:3328] SimpleLogger finalized
3/26/2008 9:58:24 AM <generic>: [Main:4752] GetEntryAssembly() returned null; not logging assembly name
3/26/2008 10:10:02 AM <generic>: [<No Name>:4268] SimpleLogger finalized
3/30/2008 8:46:28 AM <generic>: [Main:2116] GetEntryAssembly() returned null; not logging assembly name
3/30/2008 8:46:29 AM <generic>: [Main:2116] [System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: A socket operation was attempted to an unreachable network
at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.DoConnect(EndPoint endPointSnapshot, SocketAddress socketAddress)
at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.InternalConnect(EndPoint remoteEP)
at System.Net.ServicePoint.ConnectSocketInternal(Boolean connectFailure, Socket s4, Socket s6, Socket& socket, IPAddress& address, ConnectSocketState state, IAsyncResult asyncResult, Int32 timeout, Exception& exception)]A socket operation was attempted to an unreachable network
at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.DoConnect(EndPoint endPointSnapshot, SocketAddress socketAddress)
at System.Net.ServicePoint.ConnectSocketInternal(Boolean connectFailure, Socket s4, Socket s6, Socket& socket, IPAddress& address, ConnectSocketState state, IAsyncResult asyncResult, Int32 timeout, Exception& exception)
[System.Net.WebException: Unable to connect to the remote server ---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: A socket operation was attempted to an unreachable network
at System.Net.ServicePoint.ConnectSocketInternal(Boolean connectFailure, Socket s4, Socket s6, Socket& socket, IPAddress& address, ConnectSocketState state, IAsyncResult asyncResult, Int32 timeout, Exception& exception)
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetRequestStream()
at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters)
at VaultClientNetLib.ClientService.VaultService.ValidateServiceVersions(Int32[] clientSupportedVersions)
at VaultClientNetLib.VaultConnection.Login(String strURLBase, String strUserLogin, String strPassword)]Unable to connect to the remote server
at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetRequestStream()
at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters)
at VaultClientNetLib.ClientService.VaultService.ValidateServiceVersions(Int32[] clientSupportedVersions)
at VaultClientNetLib.VaultConnection.Login(String strURLBase, String strUserLogin, String strPassword)

3/30/2008 8:51:03 AM <generic>: [Main:2116] [System.Net.WebException: The operation has timed out
at System.Web.Services.Protocols.WebClientProtocol.GetWebResponse(WebRequest request)
at System.Web.Services.Protocols.HttpWebClientProtocol.GetWebResponse(WebRequest request)
at VaultClientNetLib.VaultConnection.Login(String strURLBase, String strUserLogin, String strPassword)]The operation has timed out
at System.Web.Services.Protocols.WebClientProtocol.GetWebResponse(WebRequest request)
at System.Web.Services.Protocols.HttpWebClientProtocol.GetWebResponse(WebRequest request)
at VaultClientNetLib.VaultConnection.Login(String strURLBase, String strUserLogin, String strPassword)

jeremy_sg

Post by jeremy_sg » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:41 am

Can we take the IDE out of the equation for a bit? Can you perform operations in the GUI client without a problem? Can the GUI client stay logged in?

chris.bradley

Post by chris.bradley » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:50 pm

Plain old Gui seems to work fine. I'll get the occasional dropped connection - maybe once an hour. With the IDE though I'll get those error messages every second vault interaction. It's extremely consistant, which is odd, but extremely frustrating too...

jeremy_sg

Post by jeremy_sg » Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:09 am

Can you get the GUI to fail more often if you lower you auto-refresh rate?

chris.bradley

Post by chris.bradley » Sun May 25, 2008 9:12 am

Hey Jeremy, I just figured this out.

If I changed the devenv.exe.config to match the vaultguiclient.exe.config the issue dissapears. I believe it has something to do with specifiying the <proxy usesystemdefeault="true" /> element.

My guess is that the old Visual Studio client doesn't use this element but the new enhanced one does. Anyway, I haven't seen the error message since I set this flag.

Chris

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:30 am

Thanks for the update.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager