Security question

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

andrews

Security question

Post by andrews » Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:32 pm

Does Vault provide any mechanism for controlling who can create and/or merge branches, or apply labels?

Our dev team isn't huge, but its big enough that we don't want everyone to be able to do those things as they see fit - we'd much rather have control of those actions in the hands of a smaller group of administrators to preserve a clean, usable development tree.

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:10 am

Currently we don't have that option. I have a feature request open for more security options to prevent certain abilities for users that I can add your "vote" to.

andrews

Post by andrews » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:21 pm

Can I add to that the right to delete files? Thanks :)

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:39 pm

Sure thing

andrews

Post by andrews » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:46 pm

Sorry to awaken an old thread - better than starting a new one though.

We've now rolled out Vault to approx 20 developers, some accessing it remotely from half a continent away, and most are extremely happy. A couple of users have performance issues, and for one person its severe - enough to make Vault unusable on his machine (its a quick enough machine, we haven't found any reason for this yet). Vault can be very slow with folders that have lots of files - it can take minutes to open them, then if you put Vault to the background & then bring it to the front it takes minutes again to repaint the display.

But I digress! What I meant to talk about was:-

We have a repository that we really don't want to set Folder Security on. Ideally therefore we'd setup a few Groups with appropriate rights to the repository & assign people to the groups as required. What's confusing me though is that Group Security consists of "No Access, Access, Full Admin", whereas with Folder Security you can setup RCA abilities, ie Command Rights. What does "Access, Full Admin" mean? I can't find a clear definition of them in the help text.

Wouldn't it be more consistent to dispense with "No Access, Access & Full Admin" and instead assign Command Rights in Group Security? That way we could be confident that groups have exactly the rights we want them to have.

(In the context of the questions in my earlier posts, perhaps a B could be added to Command Rights for branch management and a D for delete? Maybe an O for obliterate?)

Hope that all makes sense :)

GregM

Post by GregM » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:34 pm

Unless something has changed, groups don't do anything if folder security is disabled.

jeremy_sg

Post by jeremy_sg » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:33 pm

There are two types of security, Repository Access (Access, No Access, Full Admin), and Folder Security (RCA). Folder Security controls what users can do, and Repository Access controls whether they can see the repository at all.

As for the other issue (which I'd really like to solve), what version are you on? Would you be willing to have that user turn on Vault client logging and reproduce the problem?
Subscribe to the Fortress/Vault blog

andrews

Post by andrews » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:53 pm

Ah ok thanks, that makes sense (re the security). We're running 4.1.1 atm, soon to transition to 4.1.2.

Log file is attached - It starts on firing up Vault, which opens in the worst-performing directory. Once that was done, I brought another application to the front and then switched back to Vault. I've added a blank line into the logfile to separate the two events.

From my ill-informed reading of the file it seems that BackgroundChangeScanEvent is the culprit. Btw, why does it need to do this every time a folder gets a "repaint" event?

Anyway, I hope that helps!

Edit: more ill-informed speculation. If Vault really does need to go off & update things, would it be possible to have it done in the background? Assuming its capable of showing the list of files, if the user could still do things in the interim then I'd consider the problem fixed. Its all about perception - if the users aren't wasting time looking at a sand timer then they're generally happy :)

Also I should point out that that directory has some 5,300 files in it, and unfortunately breaking it down into smaller sub-directories is not an option :\ We have another with 3000 files in it as well.
Attachments
vault.txt
(18.18 KiB) Downloaded 222 times

jeremy_sg

Post by jeremy_sg » Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:56 am

4.1.2 specifically had some fixes to fire the BackgroundChangeScanEvent less (for another user with 5000 files). You can upgrade your client to 4.1.2 without upgrading your server, if you want to try the fix ASAP.
Subscribe to the Fortress/Vault blog

ian_sg

Post by ian_sg » Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:40 am

I'll add that 4.1.2 included a host of performance fixes in the Enhanced IDE client. You posted about some performance issues a while back, and 4.1.2 should make things substantially better.
Ian Olsen
SourceGear