Deploy Tool command line help?

Post your questions regarding using the Vault and Fortress API in your programs.

Moderator: SourceGear

robe070

Deploy Tool command line help?

Post by robe070 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:14 pm

Hi,

Is there any help for use of the Web Deploy command line tool? Even the command line option that lists the options would be a good start :-)

regards

Rob Goodridge

shannon

Post by shannon » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:35 am

"deploy help" should list all the options. The Deploy Wizard power toy has the ability to produce an xml file with all the parameters of a deploy on the last page, that's the xml file the doc refers to. I can answer any more detailed questions you may have, just reply here.

robe070

Post by robe070 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:01 am

Hi Shannon,

Just started using it.

Firstly, deploy uses -server and not -host like the CLC does.

Secondly it seems to complain about not specifying -host! as in this set of responses. Note the 2nd attempt with -server generated an access violation which Windows trapped:

Code: Select all

C:\temp\VaultDeploy>deploy -user devbuild -password fred -repository lansa -host devsrv -source $/VL/Release/v11/L4W11500 -target c:\temp\deploy
Unknown option: -host
Unknown option: devsrv

C:\temp\VaultDeploy>test

C:\temp\VaultDeploy>deploy -user devbuild -passord fred -repository lansa -server devsrv -source $/VL/Release/v11/L4W11500 -target c:\temp\deploy

Unhandled Exception: VaultClientIntegrationLib.UsageException: Please specify -u
ser, -password, and -host.
   at VaultClientIntegrationLib.ServerOperations.Login(AccessLevelType altComman
d, Boolean bAllowAuto, Boolean bSaveSession)
   at VaultClientIntegrationLib.ServerOperations.Login()
   at Deploy.CommandLineWebDeploy..ctor(Args args)
   at Deploy.Program.Main(String[] args)
Also the -host variable should be of the same kind as CLC - just the hostname like devsrv not http://devsrv/VaultService.

Seems like the XML file overrides values on the command line. IMHO it should be the other way around. The XML file was gathered at an earlier time and any changes can just be reflected on the command line.

Only user and password can be removed from the XML file. Removing server and specifying -server http://devsrv/VaultService on the command line gets the error above.

When deploying a large set of files with the Wizard, clicking Next seems to have no effect - some kind of progress indication would be good. Also an option to save the XML settings BEFORE attempting to get the files would be useful, or even in lieu of a progress bar because the XML file can be used with 'deploy' which displays progress.

Removing Target from XML file and executing this command line which worked before removing target:

deploy -user devbuild -password fred -target c:\temp\deploy2 -xml lb_file_deploy.xml
caused these errors:

Input incomplete:
Server not provided.
Repository not provided.
Source location not provided.
N.B. It is really important to our environment that we can specify the local folder on the command line. We build in multiple locations which have different target requirements but the rest of the information could be static. Still if all info was overridable on the command line the issue would be solved no matter the situation. :D

N.B.B Actually, if I can use 'deploy' without the XML file and do the following it would meet my needs:
  • Get a single file out
    Get all the files out from a particular folder (not requiring each file to be listed so new additions are automatically pulled out)
    Get all files out from a particular folder recursively
    All the above but also specifying a label or a version number.
regards

Rob Goodridge

shannon

Post by shannon » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:14 am

There was a bug reported (which I fixed) just a few days ago about the improper processing of the server parameter. It works if you use the xml file, but not as a command line parameter. If you would like a pre-release build with this fix, then send an email to shannon at sourcegear dot com and I'll respond with a link (tell me whether you need Vault or Fortress please).

The clc actually will respond to either -server or -host. This was an oversight on my part, I'll log a request to take both, as the clc does.

The only spot that requires the full url is the xml file, which I did since it's usually generated. The command line will try to process either just the hostname or the full url.

We allowed for the removal of user and password from the xml file for those with security concerns. It was designed to either use the xmlfile (and optionally remove user and/or password and pass them as parameters) or use parameters. That's also why your target command doesn't work, probably. I can take a feature request to change that if you like. I'll also log requests for the other functionality (the last four scenarios) separately.

You can do the second and third scenarios unless I'm misunderstanding something. You pass the folder for source and pass the recursive flag if you want the action to be recursive.

I'll look at the wizard for the progress issue you've mentioned, as well.

robe070

Post by robe070 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:48 pm

The clc actually will respond to either -server or -host. This was an oversight on my part, I'll log a request to take both, as the clc does. .
thanks
The only spot that requires the full url is the xml file, which I did since it's usually generated. The command line will try to process either just the hostname or the full url.
understood
We allowed for the removal of user and password from the xml file for those with security concerns. It was designed to either use the xmlfile (and optionally remove user and/or password and pass them as parameters) or use parameters. That's also why your target command doesn't work, probably. I can take a feature request to change that if you like. I'll also log requests for the other functionality (the last four scenarios) separately.
yes to the feature request.
You can do the second and third scenarios unless I'm misunderstanding something. You pass the folder for source and pass the recursive flag if you want the action to be recursive.
Yes I understood that. I just wanted to make clear how we would use all these scenarios
I'll look at the wizard for the progress issue you've mentioned, as well.
thanks
Rob Goodridge

shannon

Post by shannon » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:43 am

Ok, I've logged your feature requests, including the two scenarios that aren't covered by the current tool. Thanks for the feedback!

robe070

DeployWizard doesn't add EOL to XML file

Post by robe070 » Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:44 pm

Hi Shannon,

The XML file the DeployWizard produces does not have any EOL characters. This makes it difficult to edit. Any chance of a CRLF in appropriate places?

regards

Rob Goodridge

robe070

Deploy Tool fix

Post by robe070 » Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:47 pm

Hi Shannon,

I meant to say in the pther post that I haven't yet had time to try the fix yet.

A point about updating - I've noticed that the Deploy tool is very sensitive to the version of the Vault DLLs its using. Putting your Deploy fix on top of the DeployWizard stopped it working.

regards

Rob Goodridge

shannon

Post by shannon » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:34 am

Deploy and DeployWizard don't use the exact same set of dlls. Deploy uses a subset of the dlls DeployWizard does. If you overwrote all the dlls, I believe it would still work, but now you have a mix of version numbers and that's likely why it stopped working.

shannon

Post by shannon » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:59 am

Newline problem has been logged and fixed.