Single-User Licensing Clarification

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

brettlj

Single-User Licensing Clarification

Post by brettlj » Sat Feb 14, 2004 9:14 am

First off, thanks for providing a free 'implicit' single-user license.

At the moment, I'm a one-man shop but will be hiring a programmer in 2 months, and there is something that isn't very clear to me in how the licensing works: If I purchase another single-user license will it 'replace' the implicit single-user license, or will I then have two single-user licenses?

In other words, if I need two user licenses total, do I have to purchase one or two 'explicit' licenses?

TIA

ericsink

Re: Single-User Licensing Clarification

Post by ericsink » Sat Feb 14, 2004 9:20 am

brettlj wrote:First off, thanks for providing a free 'implicit' single-user license.

At the moment, I'm a one-man shop but will be hiring a programmer in 2 months, and there is something that isn't very clear to me in how the licensing works: If I purchase another single-user license will it 'replace' the implicit single-user license, or will I then have two single-user licenses?

In other words, if I need two user licenses total, do I have to purchase one or two 'explicit' licenses?

TIA
If you need two user licenses total, you will need to purchase two licenses. As soon as you add any serial numbers, the freebie license goes away.
Eric Sink
Software Craftsman
SourceGear

taustin

Just To Be Sure...

Post by taustin » Sat Feb 14, 2004 10:41 am

I recently purchased the Single User edition of Vault 1.X, so do I still qualify for the free upgrade to 2.0? I noticed the licensing structure changed for V2. Do I need to repurchase a new user license?

Based on the post above, it sounds like I can upgrade but if I need to add one more person down the line, I would need to buy two licenses - one new and one to replace the "free" single-user license. Is that correct?

(It doesn't matter, BTW, your product is fabulous and I'll upgrade either way.)

Thanks,

Terry Austin

ericsink

Re: Just To Be Sure...

Post by ericsink » Sat Feb 14, 2004 11:08 am

taustin wrote:I recently purchased the Single User edition of Vault 1.X, so do I still qualify for the free upgrade to 2.0? I noticed the licensing structure changed for V2. Do I need to repurchase a new user license?

Based on the post above, it sounds like I can upgrade but if I need to add one more person down the line, I would need to buy two licenses - one new and one to replace the "free" single-user license. Is that correct?

(It doesn't matter, BTW, your product is fabulous and I'll upgrade either way.)

Thanks,

Terry Austin
The 2.0 upgrade is free for all Vault 1.x users, including single-user-edition. However, your question raises a point which deserves to be clarified.

Since you purchased the single user edition product, you have a valid serial number for your one user. If you want to add a second user, you only need to buy one more license.

The implicit free single user license for Vault 2.0 is different in a subtle way. It does not require a serial number of any kind. In fact, if any serials at all are present, the freebie license magically disappears. These users need to buy two licenses when they move from one user to two.
Eric Sink
Software Craftsman
SourceGear