Fresh installation, can't connect to item tracking web svc

If you are having a problem using Fortress, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

mskrobul

Re: Fresh installation, can't connect to item tracking web svc

Post by mskrobul » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:55 am

kgchang - please email me the log files directly using the email button on the side of this post. This may be easier to troubleshoot via email rather than through the forum.
Mary Jo Skrobul
SourceGear

mskrobul

Post by mskrobul » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:15 pm

kgchang - are you trying to install Fortress on a domain controller by any chance?
Mary Jo Skrobul
SourceGear

kgchang

Post by kgchang » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:06 pm

email sent, thanks for the help!

jeff.s

Post by jeff.s » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:36 pm

I finally got my installation working, thanks in large part to Mary Jo Skrobul.

I believe the root of the problem was Fortress was installed on a domain controller. I'm not 100% sure what I did that fixed it, but here's the things you should check.

- Make sure there's a domain account for use by IIS. For example, YOURDOMAIN\VaultAdmin
- This is the account that is used as the user for anonymous access (you can find this on the "Directory Security" tab and click the first "Edit..." button)
- Make sure this account is configured for both VaultService and Fortress
- I also have Integrated Windows Authentication checked
- Make sure this user has the right permissions on the various directories (temporary asp.net files, vaultservice folder, fortress folder, etc.)
- Hopefully things work now

Here's a great blog post Mary Jo forwarded to me that details diagnosing IIS authentication errors: http://blogs.msdn.com/saurabh_singh/arc ... n-iis.aspx

There's also an IIS Diagnostics tool at http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2 ... fault.mspx that you might find useful

Good luck everyone

kgchang

Post by kgchang » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:26 pm

Got it working! Thanks for the help everyone.

I went through all of that troubleshooting in the blog post linked to by Jeff and Mary Jo...along with all the other anonymous user help pages, but no luck. I ended up resetting IIS then re-installing Fortress...however this time I did the installation rather than our IT dept, haha. Everything worked perfectly after installation was complete.

I think in my case the wrong process model was chosen during install. Also, there could have been an issue with password sync as well.

Beth

Post by Beth » Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:43 am

As an update, this is being worked on offline. The root issue appears to be that the install was performed on a domain controller and the anonymous access user didn't have proper rights.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support