Using ProcessCommandListChangeSet too slow

Post your questions regarding using the Vault and Fortress API in your programs.

Moderator: SourceGear

smartbear

Using ProcessCommandListChangeSet too slow

Post by smartbear » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:08 pm

We're using ProcessCommandListChangeSet to search changed items under a given working folder. One customer reports there are has 2503 files and 760 directories under their folder, and it's taking over 4 minutes to return the list of change set items. Is there a faster way to determine the list of modified files? Surely the Vault client itself wouldn't take this long - is some of this information cached? What about calling ProcessCommandListCheckOuts instead, and then iterating through the results for the current user?

Thanks,
Eric

jeremy_sg

Re: Using ProcessCommandListChangeSet too slow

Post by jeremy_sg » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:42 pm

The difference has to do with the Check out style of the logged in user. My guess is that they have disabled the Require Check Out before Check In flag for that user (putting the user in CVS mode, as opposed to VSS mode). When check outs are not required, we occasionally have to do a full folder-scan to find Edited files. If they use VSS mode, only the checked out files are scanned. If they are in VSS mode, you could switch to listcheckouts.
Subscribe to the Fortress/Vault blog

rolland

Post by rolland » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:51 pm

I am running with the VSS style. I verified that my client (GUI) is set to Require Check Out before Check In. The clc will use these settings correct?

jeremy_sg

Post by jeremy_sg » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:13 pm

Is the smartbear process logging in as your user? Is there a way to turn on Vault debug logging in SmartBear's app? I can provide code to turn on debug logging if that will help you.

smartbear

Post by smartbear » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:32 pm

Jeremy,

We do log in based on parameters given us by the user. I can get Rolland an updated version of our client, with debugging enabled if that will help - let me know how to do that.

Eric

jeremy_sg

Post by jeremy_sg » Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:55 pm

Eric,

You guys use the java client libs, right? Here's how it should work for you.

Code: Select all

SimpleLogger.get_Log().EnableClass("all");
SimpleLogger.get_Log().set_Enabled(true);
SimpleLogger.get_Log().set_LogFilePath(pathtologfile);
Do that right before you call ServerOperations.Login(). SimpleLogger is in VaultLib.