Sandbox Area for saving "Pending" code

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

Tri

Sandbox Area for saving "Pending" code

Post by Tri » Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:03 pm

Hi,

One of the developers asks me if Vault Server 4.12 offers a kind of 'Sandbox Area' where developers can check in pending / unstabilized code. The idea is a kind of 'Out of Dev Machine backup' in case of troubles happening to the laptop. Having it on a Source Control server which allow versioning is also nice.

Does such a concept exist in a Source Control tool? If Vault Server doesn't have this feature, what do you recommend as good practice for 'Insurance' against hardware trouble?

Personally, when I have an important piece of code which is not yet stabilized that I don't want to check in, I compress & save it in a personal folder in a file server.

Thanks for any advice.

tomt84

Re: Sandbox Area for saving "Pending" code

Post by tomt84 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:08 pm

That's the forthcoming "shelve" feature isn't it?

When is that actually due?
Tom Fanning

lbauer

Re: Sandbox Area for saving "Pending" code

Post by lbauer » Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:49 am

Yes, we are planning to implement the shelve feature in the next major release of Vault, 5.0. We don't have a release date as yet. Details on shelving here:

http://vaultblog.sourcegear.com/

A less elegant workaround for now might be to create a new Vault repository, where Vault users could store changes like code snippets or work in progress. They wouldn't use it for version control, but just for checking in code for backup purposes. When they're ready to work on it, they could do a get to the working folder for the production repository.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager