Object reference not set to an instance of an object

If you are having a problem using Fortress, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

jlehew

Object reference not set to an instance of an object

Post by jlehew » Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:42 pm

On my development VM, when I use the Fortress v1.1.2 client, I log in, select the code repository, then it displays this error:

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

On the SourceGear server it works fine but on my development VM it does not. My configuration has three servers: Sql Server 2005, SourceGear, and a development virtual machine running VS2008.

I've uninstalled it and reinstalled SourceGear and that has not fixed the problem. What should I try next?

Thanks,
John

jlehew

Re: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

Post by jlehew » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:55 am

I fixed it by upgrading to v1.1.3 but after the upgrade I wasn't seeing any icons like the padlock beside the checked in files. Did a "Check In" at the solution level and checked in everything and afterwards two of my three projects showed the icons. Clicked the project that still wasn't displaying the icon and clicked "Add to Fortress" and after that operation I could see the icons for everything. Prior to receiving this error, all projects were part of Fortress.

This happened after Comcast made a change to my home network... The server I'm using is setup with VMWare Server 2.0 w/16GB of memory and I run 5 VMs typically with a Development VS2008 SP1 VM, Sql Server 2005 VM, SourceGear VM, Webserver VM, and an Internet browsing VM. At 11:55PM Sunday while I was coding, I received strange errors, and none of my VMs could talk to each other. Went to a cmd prompt and pinged my Sql Server VM and it returned an IP address of 207.x.x.x instead of 192.168.0.x and the server name had a strange DNS suffix like Sql2005Dev.int.comcast.isv.edu. (Thanks Comcast!) The only way I could fix this quickly was to hardcode entries in the HOSTS file for all my VMs...

I'm back up and running again.

Regards,
John

Beth

Post by Beth » Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:55 pm

Thanks for the update. I could see IP changes messing with the bindings with Visual Studio. Also, to check whether an item is really in Fortress, open up a web browser and log into the web client. The web client is at http://<your Fortress server>/VaultService/VaultWeb. I have seen some cases where people thought they had completed the add and that wasn't the case. Often it's due to not committing the add operation. One could have their options set to not auto-commit, so you need to look at the Pending Changes window to see if anything needs to be committed.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

jlehew

Post by jlehew » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:14 pm

My pending changes window is clear. I did a check in all.

John

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:18 pm

In VS Tools - Options - Source Control, are you using the Classic or Enhanced Client?
Beth Kieler

jlehew

Post by jlehew » Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:05 pm

Beth,

I think you meant to reply to my other thread...

http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic ... 30&t=11004

Everything is working now. See comments in the other thread.

Thanks,
John

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:35 pm

Are you having any other issues relating to the error in this particular thread?
Beth Kieler