VS2008 and Enhanced Client

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

paul-shed

VS2008 and Enhanced Client

Post by paul-shed » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:05 pm

Hello,

We are having a number of problems with the new Enhanced Client in VS2008. Our most pressing problem at the moment is that when we double click on a .vcproj file in a file explorer Visual Studio will always try and use the Cassic Client. Even though the project was created using the Enhanced Client, and the VS SCC plug in is set to the Enhanced Client.

However, we're noy seeing this on all our developer machines. I'd say about 50% and across different OSs as well, Xp and Vista.

Also, if we open the project from VS, File/Open/Project/Solution then the binding is set correctly to the Enhanced Client. The problem only seems to occur when trying to launch VS using the OS file association, clicking on the .vcproj file.

How can we clean out any cached associations so that this works properly?

We're using Vault 4.1.4 client/server and VS2008 SP1 on Vista and XP.

Regards,

paul-shed

Beth

Re: VS2008 and Enhanced Client

Post by Beth » Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:00 pm

That kind of data is not kept in the cache. There are a number of things that could be happening here. If even just one user has set that project incorrectly, it will affect everyone. What needs to happen is one user needs to unbind that project, save it to disk that way, then set VS again to the Enhanced Client, then bind the project again. After that, check it in and have your other users perform a Get on it.

It might be easier to just unbind everything, save it, make the change or check the setting and bind again and then have everyone open from Source Control again, but that could be messy for those that have changes on disk.

If you need more details, just let me know.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

paul-shed

Post by paul-shed » Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:55 pm

Thanks for the reply.

Sorry but I don't understand. From your reply you're suggesting that project bindings will effect everyone, which is a given. But that is not the problem we are having. The problem is that the same project behaves differently on different developer machines. On some machines the enhanced binding is ok, on others it is not. So I would have thought that there are some local settings that are causing the the SCC VS2008 integration to always fall back to the classic client and not the enhanced client.

Every project we have has the following in the .vcproj header.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="Windows-1252"?>
<VisualStudioProject
ProjectType="Visual C++"
Version="9.00"
Name="PBSCcore"
ProjectGUID="{E9E73ABE-9EEE-4A94-81B1-E6C61FDFB6A3}"
RootNamespace="PBSCcore"
SccProjectName="PBSCcore"
SccAuxPath="http://a.b.c.d/VaultService"
SccLocalPath="22~a24b0a76-b652-44a1-9118-66374dc966a4"
SccProvider="SourceGear Vault Visual Studio 2005 Client:{1EA47954-8515-402d-82D9-B5C332120A8D}"

Given that the SccProvider is explicitly specified I don't understand why there is any confusion on the part of the VS integration.

Regards,

paul-shed

Beth

Post by Beth » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:38 pm

Can you have the users that have problems check the headers that are on their particular machines?

Could you have one of the users that have the problem try unbinding and rebinding?
Beth Kieler

paul-shed

Post by paul-shed » Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:00 am

The headers are identical on all machines as they all come from Vault. As a santity check I've done a Diff between the vcproj's in Vault and the vcproj's on the affected machines and they are identical.

If I unbind the project and then rebind it the Vault client checks out the project but makes no changes to the Header section, it remains as is in the previous post. It also doesn't fix the problem, if we save the vcproj file and close 2008 and then try drouble clicking on the vcproj file it reverts to the Classic Client and doesn't connect to Vault!

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:09 pm

Could you send an email to support at sourcegear.com (attn: Beth) with a link to this forum thread? I think having a closer look will help.
Beth Kieler