Cloak folder not ignored during Recursive Diff

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

jeffatfaa

Cloak folder not ignored during Recursive Diff

Post by jeffatfaa » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:13 pm

I'm working on a VS 2008 project with JetBrain ReSharper. I have Vault version 4.1.3.

When working with ReSharper, the VS 2008 IDE does not show that the solution had a hidden project.
This hidden project is named after the solution and begins with the text "_ReSharper."

When I am using the Vault client to do a recursive difference on the root folder that contains the solution and all of the project folders, the "_ReSharper." folder is included in the differences. This is undesirable because of the large number of files that ReSharper creates. We also do not want to add the ReSharper files, so we don't want these files to show as a difference when doing a recursive difference.

I have added the "_ReSharper." folder to Vault and in the properties Cloaked the folder, but all of the local files under the "_ReSharper." folder are still appearing when doing a recursive difference.

What can I do to make the Vault Client ignore the "_ReSharper." folder and the contained files since the Cloak is not working?
Last edited by jeffatfaa on Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jeffhostetler

Re: Cloak folder not ignored during Recursive Diff

Post by jeffhostetler » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:41 am

Add the _ReSharper directory to the list of excluded folders in the "Folder Filters"
page of the DiffMerge Options dialog. This will prevent DiffMerge from diving
into that directory when showing a recursive diff.

You can do this when the DiffMerge window is open with the recursive diff (and
then hit reload) or by launching DiffMerge from the start menu before asking
Vault to do launch the recursive diff.

From your note it sounds like ReSharper creates a "_ReSharper.foo" directory
rather than a constant "_ReSharper". If this is the case, you'll have to add each
of the resharper folders to your filter list. The DiffMerge folder filter doesn't
currently do wildcards or RegEx's, just exact matching. I'll log this.

As for adding, not adding, or cloaking, I'll have to defer those questions to others.

jeff

jeffatfaa

Post by jeffatfaa » Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:45 pm

The Vault Client passes the arguements to the sgdm.exe to tell it what to compare,
so what is the command line arguement for the "Folder Filters"?

If I was comparing 2 folders on the hard drive, then adding the _ReSharper.foo to the
"Folder Filters" list would work fine, but I'm using the Vault client to compare my local
working directory copies of files to the current version of files in Vault. So Vault calls
the sgdm.exe and passes the arguements to it.

The default "Folder Filters" list is:
Debug Release _sgbak _sgvault objs

None of these folders are ignored during a recursive diff from the Vault client.

jeffhostetler

Post by jeffhostetler » Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:03 pm

I'm not familiar with the ReSharper product, but it seems like if you
add the _ReSharper.foo to the DiffMerge folder filter *and then* don't place
the ReSharper-generated files/projects under version control at all, then you
should get what you're looking for.

jeff

prevoj

Post by prevoj » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:58 pm

I really like using Vault but I have to say this is the single biggest pet peeve with me and the rest of my team. Please consider adding the ability to ignore cloaked folders when you do a "Show Differences" from the Vault Client. We work on a very large project with lots of separate NetBeans and Visual Studio projects. All these projects have all sort of files and folders that we cloak for various reasons but they always show up when you do a "Show Differences".

Please consider adding the ability for sgdm to ignore cloaked content. It would save us a ton of time during release cycles.

Thanks!
Joe

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:34 am

Joe:

If someone wanted to know what files have changed under a given folder (and also repsect cloaked folders), the Search Tab at the bottom of the Vault GUI can be used to do some quick searches against files under Vault's control.

This may not be what you're looking for, but then again, it might be a work-around for your current situation.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear