Should pinning affect both sides of share?

If you are having a problem using Fortress, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

Nihimon

Should pinning affect both sides of share?

Post by Nihimon » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:27 pm

I just read through "Basics of using Label, Cloak, Share, Pin, Branch and Merging" (http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic ... lit=pin#p9) looking for a way to promote changes up the ladder from dev to test to production. From what I read there, it sounded like Share and Pin would be perfect.

My plan was to have $/Dev/MyProject shared to $/Test/MyProject and make changes to my heart's content in $/Dev/MyProject while $/Test/MyProject stayed Pinned to, for example, Version 17, which has the changes I want to submit for testing, but not the changes I've made since then. Likewise, I could Pin $/Prod/MyProject to version 3, which was the actual deployed production version.

I believed this would work because of the wording "The red team can continue their "work" in $/red/turboLib, but your side of the share link will no longer automatically get their changes." in the post above. However, when I tested it, I found that All sides of the Share seem to have the same Pin. When I Pinned $/Test/MyProject to version 17, I looked and saw that $/Dev/MyProject was also pinned to version 17.

Am I misunderstanding something? Are you planning to fix this soon?

Thanks,
Matt Knowles

Beth

Re: Should pinning affect both sides of share?

Post by Beth » Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:58 am

At what level did you place the pin? What I mean is did you place the pin right at the point that you shared or somewhere inside of the share?
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

Nihimon

Post by Nihimon » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:22 am

I placed the Pin at a sub-folder of the Share.

I was hoping to create MyProject1, MyProject2, etc. under $/Projects, then share Projects to $/Test/Projects, and then be able to Pin MyProject2 to version 7 under $/Test/Projects while I continued working on it under $/Projects.

I just did a little testing and I see that I can Pin the actual Share independently of the original. I think I see why too, in that creating a Share actually creates an entity in the database which you can Pin.

I can accomplish my goal by sharing individual projects explicitly.

Thanks

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:17 pm

Exactly. Also, if you would like we have some sharing and pinning power toys available in the downloads area of Fortress. Or you can check them out here: Power Toys.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support