Can't see file in repository

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

it@pellcomp.co.uk

Can't see file in repository

Post by it@pellcomp.co.uk » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:20 am

Hi,

Our company is in the process of trialling Vault, and so far we've been very happy. Unfortunatley today we've hit a small problem.

There's a CS file that my colleague created and checked-in a few weeks ago. I now have need to use this file in another project, so I tried going into the Vault client to get it, but the file isn't listed in the file list for the appropriate folder. I've checked on my colleague's machine and the file is there for him, marked as checked-in.

The strange thing is that if I login to the web-client (with the same username used in the desktop client) I can see the file listed in the correct folder.

I've looked over all the settings and tried searching the help files/forum but can't figure it out. There are other CS files in the same folder and I can see those fine, just not this one.

We're running Vault Client 4.1.4. Sorry if this is something obvious, but we're all very new to the system. Any pointers to where I should be looking to solve this would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

James Francis
Pellcomp Software

lbauer

Re: Can't see file in repository

Post by lbauer » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:31 am

You client-side cache is probably out of sync with the repository.

The default location for your cache is C:\Documents and Settings\<userprofile>\Local Settings\SourceGear\Vault_1\Client\{repository-guid}\{vaultuser}\

Close any open clients on the machine, including Visual Studio.

We'd recommend deleting CacheMember_LastStructureGetTime and CacheMember_Repository

More info on the client-side cache here:

http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=6
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

it@pellcomp.co.uk

Post by it@pellcomp.co.uk » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:37 am

Thank you.

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to have worked. I rebooted (to ensure there were no clients open), deleted the files, rebooted again (probably overkill, but better safe than sorry), opened Vault, and still no file in the list!

The file's definitely in the folder and in the Vault file list on my colleagues machine, and if I try to copy it to my machine manually then add it to Vault I get:

Item $/Vs/StrLib.cs caused the transaction to fail: An item with the same name or object id already exists in the selected folder.
Transaction failed

But I can't see it!

Any other ideas gratefully received,

James

it@pellcomp.co.uk

Post by it@pellcomp.co.uk » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:42 am

Aha I've solved it.

I came to check in a lot of other work and found a change waiting to be checked in, for a deletion on the offending file.

The file had somehow managed to become deleted on my local machine (no idea how - I probably did somthing very stupid with visual studio), so Vault was being very clever and omitting it from the list on the server before I commited the change.

Would it not make more sense to show the file in the file list until I commit the delete?

Either way it's solved now, and we know to look out for it in the future. Thank you for your help.

James

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:16 am

Thanks for the update.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

dbeeby

Post by dbeeby » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:49 am

Hello, I have a similar problem.

There was a file ("index.php") in the root directory of my site. A developer had it checked out and was sitting on it for days. I couldn't reach him, but I urgently needed to work on the file. So I deleted the file in Vault in an attempt to override his checkout.

Now the file still exists in the directory (I can access it via FTP and HTTP), but I cannot see it in my Vault list. I reinstalled Vault and deleted the cache files, but no luck.

Help?

Best,
D Beeby

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:12 am

If you deleted it from Vault, then it would not show up in the file list. However, you should not be able to delete a file that is checked out.

If you login with a Vault client on a different machine, can you see the file in the file list?

If the file does appear to be deleted, right click on the parent folder and select Properties. Does the file appear in the deleted items?

If you still can't see the file, email support at sourcegear.com, Attn: Linda. Please include a link to this forum post and your phone number. We'll try to do a remote session to figure out what's going on.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:32 pm

This user had a pending Delete of the file in the Pending Change set, so the delete had not yet been committed. In the meantime the client had removed it from the folder list. We undid the transaction and the user was able to access the file again.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

equineaffairs

Post by equineaffairs » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:04 am

Hi there,
I have followed this thread and thought I could solve my problem as well, I did delete the file from vault and am trying to get it back, I can see the file but it wont let me check it in as it says

....caused the transaction to fail: An item with the same name or object id already exists in the selected folder.

I have looked in pending actions and in the deleted items area to see if I can undelete it but it is not there, any suggestions ASAP would be appreciated as I have been working on this for over 1 month trying to sort it

many thanks

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:24 am

Have you tried clearing the client-side cache?

It sounds like it's out of sync with the database. Close any open clients first.

http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic ... 341#p48341
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

equineaffairs

Post by equineaffairs » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:11 am

Hi there,

Managed to do this and reset completely, however I now get this message for any files

The system detected a possible attempt to compromise security. Please ensure that you can contact the server that authenticated you.

Any ideas?

Many thanks

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:24 am

That's a Windows, not a Vault error. Let's take this offline so we can figure out what's going on. I've emailed you from our Help System, issue 215673
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

equineaffairs

Post by equineaffairs » Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:13 am

Hi there,

Have rebooted and made sure everything was closed correctly etc and when re-opened vault it was all working. Thank you so much for your speedy and excellent support on this product - it has made a real difference and I should have come to you earlier.

Many thanks again

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:08 am

Thanks for the update. That's good news. : )
Linda Bauer
SourceGear