Failed to load Msxml2.dll

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

Tom.Wells

Failed to load Msxml2.dll

Post by Tom.Wells » Wed May 06, 2009 12:19 pm

Our tech support staff recently installed a number of MS security patches on our SQL Server machine and now we are getting this error from SQL Server. I realize this is not a Vault problem. Could you give me a SQL Server command I could execute from SQL Server Management Studio that would simulate what you are doing that causes this error. I've used "sp_xml_preparedocument" to get close to the error but it returns "Failed to load msxmlsql.dll".

At the moment Vault is down because of this.

Thanks,

Tom

Beth

Re: Failed to load Msxml2.dll

Post by Beth » Wed May 06, 2009 2:14 pm

Check out this post and see if any of the recommendations there help: Began receiving FailDBInsert errors today. That user received the same error.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

Tom.Wells

Post by Tom.Wells » Thu May 07, 2009 8:03 am

I looked at the post. It was related but not exactly the same. Our SQL Server is not finding msxml2.dll. That post was not finding msxmlsql.dll. I'd like to be able to simulate the error via SQL Server Management Studio. That way I can duplicate the error on a test server, fix it there and then migrate to production. The SQL Server we are using for Vault also supports production applications. Can you tell me a SQL Server command similar to what Vault is doing that will use msxml2.dll?

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu May 07, 2009 8:16 am

Here's an explanation for the error you have: Failed to load Msxml2.dll error on checkin.

What version of SQL are you running? What operating system is SQL loaded on?

I'll see if I can find what uses that file, and will post back if I find it. That probably won't be needed to fix this though.
Beth Kieler

Tom.Wells

Post by Tom.Wells » Thu May 07, 2009 9:26 am

We've got it fixed. The first link you posted referred to this MS article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918767

It was instrumental in helping us figure out what happened. A couple of weeks ago an instance of SQL Server was removed from the box where the Vault database is hosted. The machine didn't get rebooted until a couple of nights ago. When it did the msxmlsql.dll was removed. We replaced it and now we're back up and running. We might have figured this out sooner but the reboot was the result of applying some MS patches. We figured they were the culprit and spent a day waiting for the opportunity to remove them.

Thanks for the reply. It was the clue we needed.

Tom

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu May 07, 2009 10:12 am

Thanks for the update.
Beth Kieler