Unable to make writeable(writable)

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

dev731

Unable to make writeable(writable)

Post by dev731 » Wed May 06, 2009 1:09 am

sos latest, xp sp3 pro, microsoft office 2007

if sos.exe is closed before the opened for view *.doc is, then you get

Beth

Re: Unable to make writeable(writable)

Post by Beth » Wed May 06, 2009 12:16 pm

I haven't reproduced this yet, but I could see this happening. Some functions are needed to rebuild the file from the data from the information it has, plus all the data from VSS might not have been received yet. If you are opening a file using the View command from inside of SOS, it would be better to wait until SOS can gather all the data from the database and build the file. If you look at your path, you will notice that the error relates to a temp directory and not your working folder.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

dev731

Post by dev731 » Thu May 07, 2009 12:12 am

I think working dir is not involved here at all. I just double click on *.doc or *.vsd(visio doc), then in the dialog choose to open it using default viewer. It downloads the file from server(its status is Missing), opens it, everything is OK. When sos is closing it succeeds to make file writable(i.e readonly attribute is cleared successfully). But it can't delete file because it is in use by Word which I would not close(because I don't want to)

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu May 07, 2009 7:44 am

I think working dir is not involved here at all.
That's correct. The missing status though does refer to the working directory, and has no bearing on the View. If you were to check the file out and select Edit, then it will go to your working folder.
But it can't delete file because it is in use by Word which I would not close
That is a normal behavior. If a Word document is in use, you can't delete it or move it even if SOS is not involved or on the machine.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support