Item Tracking VS2008

If you are having a problem using Fortress, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

grs

Item Tracking VS2008

Post by grs » Wed May 27, 2009 7:03 am

For source control purposes, the VS2008 enhanced client is working well on my 2008sp1 installation, and has been for some time. However, I appear to be not so lucky with Item tracking. I've not been able to get VS2008 integration working, although it appears to work for fellow team members.

Using the standalone fortress client, I can navigate through the source control and item tracking portions of Fortress.

When attempting to open Fortress Item Tracking from VS2008, however, I receive a blank white window. When tracing activity with fiddler, I see that when I open the Item Tracking window, there are no web service requests being sent to the server. I see the normal traffic (series of DragnetWebService calls) when using the standalone client.

I see the same behavior whether or not I have a solution open.

Is there any logging that I can turn on to further investigate this, or is this a common enough problem for there to be a well known solution?

Several of my colleagues have been in this position in the past, however, there has been no explanation for their sudden ability to properly open items in VS, while I am unable to do so.

-Gregg

lbauer

Re: Item Tracking VS2008

Post by lbauer » Wed May 27, 2009 9:41 am

First try this:

In VS 2008, select View->Toolbars and make sure the Fortress Work Item tracking Toolbar is enabled. Then in the Fortress toolbar click on Connect to Fortress or Reload.

If this doesn't help, we can do a remote session to figure out what's going on.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

grs

Post by grs » Thu May 28, 2009 5:17 am

The Fortress work item tracking toolbar is indeed enabled.
In normal mode (solution open), the "refresh" and "connect to fortess" buttons are grayed out, the rest are enabled.

I can get *something* from fortress by using "goto Item", leaving the search box blank and searching, which brings up a query results window that contains (all) items. I can then open items from these query results in VS, but this seems a pretty clumsy way to go about it. I'd like to be able to have the navigation and saved query tree over in the solution explorer area, and be able to bring the items up directly from there - which appears to be how it works on my colleagues' workstation.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu May 28, 2009 7:46 am

Email me at support at sourcegear.com, Attn: Linda. Please include a link to this forum post. We'll set up a time to take a look at this.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

kibbey

Post by kibbey » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:05 am

This looks exactly like what I'm getting. I just did an upgrade from Vault and am attempting to test out the item tracking. I've tried what is suggested here but I still get a blank screen from with vs 2008 sp1. Source control operations work just fine. I'm also wondering how a project and it's items are linked to a source control project.

Was there a resolution to this issue? I'm sure it's something I've either jumped over or neglected to do.

Thanks,

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:47 pm

I think it was user error, but I didn't get details on how the user finally got it to work.

But what I wrote offline to him was:
In VS 2008, select View->Toolbars and make sure the Fortress Work Item tracking Toolbar is enabled. Then in the Fortress toolbar click on Connect to Fortress or Reload.
If this doesn't help, we can schedule a remote session to figure out what's going on.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear