problem integrating with CruiseControl

If you are having a problem using Fortress, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

jawbrey

problem integrating with CruiseControl

Post by jawbrey » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:31 pm

We've had a problem getting CC.NET to integrate with Fortress/Vault. It started happening a few days ago, and is only impacting a handful of our CC.NET projects.

CC is logging this

Code: Select all

ThoughtWorks.CruiseControl.Core.CruiseControlException: Source control operation failed: . Process command: c:\program files\sourcegear\fortress client\vault.exe versionhistory "$/VSM 2.5" -rowlimit 1 -host localhost -user admin -password ******** -repository "VSM Dependancies" at ThoughtWorks.CruiseControl.Core.Sourcecontrol.ProcessSourceControl.Execute(ProcessInfo processInfo) at ThoughtWorks.CruiseControl.Core.Sourcecontrol.Vault3.ExecuteWithRetries(ProcessInfo processInfo) at ThoughtWorks.CruiseControl.Core.Sourcecontrol.Vault317.GetFolderVersion(IIntegrationResult from, IIntegrationResult to) at ThoughtWorks.CruiseControl.Core.Sourcecontrol.Vault317.LookForChangesUsingVersionHistory(IIntegrationResult from, IIntegrationResult to) at ThoughtWorks.CruiseControl.Core.Sourcecontrol.Vault317.GetModifications(IIntegrationResult from, IIntegrationResult to) at ThoughtWorks.CruiseControl.Core.Sourcecontrol.VaultVersionChecker.GetModifications(IIntegrationResult from, IIntegrationResult to) at ThoughtWorks.CruiseControl.Core.Sourcecontrol.QuietPeriod.GetModifications(ISourceControl sourceControl, IIntegrationResult lastBuild, IIntegrationResult thisBuild) at ThoughtWorks.CruiseControl.Core.IntegrationRunner.GetModifications(IIntegrationResult from, IIntegrationResult to) at ThoughtWorks.CruiseControl.Core.IntegrationRunner.Integrate(IntegrationRequest request)

However, I don't see any corresponding errors in the Fortress/Vault log files.

I've tried manually running the command, and it works without error for me.

Any suggestions on where to start looking to diagnose this?

jeremy_sg

Re: problem integrating with CruiseControl

Post by jeremy_sg » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:52 pm

Is it causing a build to fail, or is it just an entry in the log file?

The first spot to check is the server log file. That may point out a problem.
Subscribe to the Fortress/Vault blog

jawbrey

Post by jawbrey » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:57 am

It is causing the build to fail in CC.

I don't see any corresponding errors in the Vault/Fortress log files when this happens.

jeremy_sg

Post by jeremy_sg » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:22 am

If you look at the output of the versionhistory command, does it look like anything might be causing XML parsing failures?

If you're on 4.1, have you tried switching over to the CC.Net plugin?

jawbrey

Post by jawbrey » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:53 am

The xml returned is valid.

I'll look into changing the plugin.

jawbrey

Post by jawbrey » Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:08 pm

Looking at the config for this project, we are using the plugin, so I guess I'm not sure what you're suggesting. Do I need a different version? Are there docs that explain how to properly integrate with CC.NET?

I inherited this setup, which has been in place for years. It generally works without any problems, so I rarely have to mess with it, and therefore I'm not that familiar with all the details of how it works.

thanks!

jeremy_sg

Post by jeremy_sg » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:38 am

Vault 4.1 has a new plugin which bypasses the Vault CLC. You can tell from the stack trace that it's still using the older CC.Net method.

To set up the new method, download the CC.Net plugin from

http://sourcegear.com/vault/downloads.html

After you install it, you should be able to just change your CC.Net project definition from type="vault" to type="vaultplugin"