How to prevent RO attribute when check out some file

If you are having a problem using Fortress, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

mawin

How to prevent RO attribute when check out some file

Post by mawin » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:37 am

HI,
I use working schema Check-Out x Exclusive work x Check in
In most of cases I have problem with database files. I need put it to Fortress this files but after Check IN are these files marked as RO
Ho do I prevent for some files set this attribute to RO?

Is possible put to Fortress some files which I don't need to be version controlled but I need just put it to server for example CC?
This files I sometime ()put to server, this could be a test Database files or other.
Structure database I have of course controlled by fortress by the sql script.

Thanks for help
Martin

Beth

Re: How to prevent RO attribute when check out some file

Post by Beth » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:38 am

It currently isn't possible to have just some files be read-only and some not be read-only. You can set your files to not be read-only, but still exclusively check out items. Just go to Tools - Options - Concurrent Development Style and change the Make Writable setting to Make All Files Writeable. If your admin has the Request Exclusive Locks as a requirement, you will still be forced to exclusively lock when you check out despite making your files on disk writable.

On the second part, are you saying that you don't need the different versions, but only need the latest version? There currently isn't a way to do that. You would have to delete it from Fortress and re-add every time. This could be scripted though with the command-line. You would still have each upload in your database though. You could obliterate them, but that takes away your ability to Export and Import, so that's not always recommended.

How much does the file you don't want controlled change?
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

mawin

Post by mawin » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:34 am

Beth wrote:It currently isn't possible to have just some files be read-only and some not be read-only. You can set your files to not be read-only, but still exclusively check out items. Just go to Tools - Options - Concurrent Development Style and change the Make Writable setting to Make All Files Writeable. If your admin has the Request Exclusive Locks as a requirement, you will still be forced to exclusively lock when you check out despite making your files on disk writable.
It is not good news for me.
I worked on web projects and there is App_Data with database files. I need put them to Fortress but after check in I must every time reset the attribute RO.
I can leave this files checkouted but all other developer has it locked. What is the recomended scenario for working with database files under Fortress?
Beth wrote:On the second part, are you saying that you don't need the different versions, but only need the latest version? There currently isn't a way to do that. You would have to delete it from Fortress and re-add every time. This could be scripted though with the command-line. You would still have each upload in your database though. You could obliterate them, but that takes away your ability to Export and Import, so that's not always recommended.
How much does the file you don't want controlled change?
You can imagine that I want put these files to every label.
I finish some state of project, create label for source and then I need put some files for testing (test db, some config files) Then when I run CC I need get this test files and labeled source for testing.

Thanks, Martin

Beth

Post by Beth » Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:10 pm

I need put them to Fortress but after check in I must every time reset the attribute RO.
Would it be a problem to switch your client to just not have files be read-only? It won't affect the other developers.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support