Upgrading to SOS 4.2 from 3.5

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

corey

Upgrading to SOS 4.2 from 3.5

Post by corey » Thu Mar 11, 2004 3:44 pm

Due to changes in the underlying technology of the product and installer, the SourceOffSite 4.2 installer will not upgrade a 3.5 installation. The following instructions explain how to correctly upgrade to 4.2 from 3.5.

Upgrading the Server from 3.5 to 4.2

1. Install the 4.x Server to a different folder from your existing 3.5 Server installation (the default path given by the 4.x installer should work).

2. Copy the sossvr.prp and sossvr.kys files from your 3.5 Server installation folder to your 4.2 installation folder.

3. Upgrade your 3.5 serial numbers by going to https://store.sourcegear.com/sgstore/or ... family=sos
Use the Server Manager to configure your new serial numbers.

4. Once the 4.2 Server is working correctly, the 3.5 Server can be manually uninstalled, if desired.

Upgrading the Client from 3.5 to 4.2

1. Install the 4.2 Client to the same location as your existing 3.5 Client.

2. The first time the 4.2 Client is started, it will upgrade your existing server cache files and encryption keys.

3. You can manually uninstall your 3.5 client **before** installing 4.2, if desired, but do NOT delete the 3.5 installation folder and the files that remain after the uninstall has completed.
Last edited by corey on Thu Dec 16, 2004 2:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Steve Garbarini

Coexistence of 3.5.3 and 4.0

Post by Steve Garbarini » Wed Mar 24, 2004 11:10 am

Can both servers coexist and access the same repository?

Post by Guest » Wed Mar 24, 2004 11:11 am

Yes

aaronspear

requirements for host 0S version?

Post by aaronspear » Mon Mar 29, 2004 2:57 pm

Hey,
We have SourceOffsite server 3.5 running on a windows 2000 server machine. I am wondering if Windows 2003 server is a requirement, or do you just need to have .NET installed? It sounds like upgrading whoudl be as simple as installing .NET on the machine and then installing your new server. Is there a way that I can try this and set it up before switching over for everyone? I have a team of 10 people or so that all have SourceOffsite licenses and I CANNOT have any down time right now...

thanks!

corey

Re: requirements for host 0S version?

Post by corey » Mon Mar 29, 2004 3:04 pm

aaronspear wrote:Hey,
We have SourceOffsite server 3.5 running on a windows 2000 server machine. I am wondering if Windows 2003 server is a requirement, or do you just need to have .NET installed? It sounds like upgrading whoudl be as simple as installing .NET on the machine and then installing your new server. Is there a way that I can try this and set it up before switching over for everyone? I have a team of 10 people or so that all have SourceOffsite licenses and I CANNOT have any down time right now...

thanks!
Yes, you only need the 1.1 .NET framework. Windows 2003 Server is not required.

The 3.5 and 4.0 Servers can co-exist on the same machine and the 4.0 Server comes with a 30 day eval for 10 users, so you can test it out before upgrading your existing licenses.

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 29, 2004 3:24 pm

corey wrote:<snip>
Yes, you only need the 1.1 .NET framework. Windows 2003 Server is not required.

The 3.5 and 4.0 Servers can co-exist on the same machine and the 4.0 Server comes with a 30 day eval for 10 users, so you can test it out before upgrading your existing licenses.
Ok. is there any issue with having the 3.5.3 client and the new client coexist on the same machine?

corey

Post by corey » Mon Mar 29, 2004 4:05 pm

Anonymous wrote:
Ok. is there any issue with having the 3.5.3 client and the new client coexist on the same machine?
Both Clients can co-exist on the same machine, but the 4.0 Client is configured to install by default to the same location as the 3.5 Client, so that it can update the user's existing server cache and crypto key files.

So the answer is yes, they can coexist, as long as you override the installation path to be a different location from your 3.5 Client. The 4.0 Client will then need to download the complete VSS project tree the first time you connect with your 4.0 Client.
Corey Steffen
SourceGear LLC

lpadrutt

4.0 client to 3.5 server?

Post by lpadrutt » Tue Jul 20, 2004 12:48 pm

I connect with SOS to various SOS servers. Is 4.0 client backwards-compatible with 3.5 server or do I need to have 2 clients on my PC if I connect to different server versions? Thx.

corey

Post by corey » Wed Jul 21, 2004 8:16 am

Its mostly backwards compatible, although there are a few new features that require both a 4.0 client and server, and there are some issues with getting historical versions of a file when mixing versions.
Corey Steffen
SourceGear LLC

ericwsf

soscmd.exe and 3.5 => 4.0

Post by ericwsf » Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:26 am

I think soscmd.exe 4.0 version is not backward compatible with server 3.x.

First off if the databasen.sos file says Verison 3.0 does that mean the server is version 3.0 or is that just the version of the database file format?

I have been trying to get a script running to get all the subprojects needed for a particular product. I have been trying to use the soshome parameter with the GetProject command but, the 4.0 version of soscmd.exe demonstrates some weird behavior.

It will get most of the files and even say "File already updated" for the correct ones. But it also makes the followung attempts:

****** My Trace**********
Calling :
/cygdrive/c/Program\ Files/SourceOffSite/soscmd.exe -command GetProject -server
sos.okily.dokily.net:1234 -name read_only -password xxxxxxxxx -project "$/dumdum"
-database "D:\vss\srcsafe.ini" -soshome "C:\Documents and Settings\User\Applica
tion Data\SourceGear\SOS" -verbose -skipwritable -recursive
****** End My Trace**********

******Output from soscmd.exe -verbose********
SourceOffSite Command Line Client: Standard Edition version 4.0.2
Connected to server sos.nscp.aoltw.net at port 5005.
Received Challenge from server
Successfully logged in.
Sending GetProject Command to server.
Requesting file: foobar.lib
Got file: c:\Dev\company\codename\foobar.lib <= missing "mylib"
Requesting file: 1 <= Will request a number
Error: Server response = 401 NoSuchFileOrProject
Requesting file: 02/06/2003 12:24 <= and a date
Error: Server response = 400 OperationFailed
Requesting file: <= and a blank
Requesting file: activehex.rcv
Got file: c:\Dev\company\codename\mylib\activehex.rcv
Requesting file: 02/06/2003 12:24
Requesting file:
Requesting file: amfilter.cpp
Got file: c:\Dev\company\codename\mylib\amfilter.cpp
Requesting file: 1
Requesting file: baseclasses.dsp
Got file: c:\Dev\company\codename\mylib\baseclasses.dsp
Requesting file: combase.h
Got file: c:\Dev\company\codename\mylib\combase.h
Requesting file:
Requesting file: 02/06/2003 12:24
Requesting file: 1
Requesting file: shapes.h
Got file: c:\Dev\company\codename\include\shapes.h <= missing "mylib"
Requesting file: math.h
Got file: c:\Dev\company\codename\include\math.h <= missing "mylib"
Requesting file: draw.h
Got file: c:\Dev\company\codename\include\draw.h <= missing "mylib"

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Aug 12, 2004 11:03 am

We've had reports from other users about errors when using SOS CLC 4.0 with an SOS 3.5.3 Server.

Can you run this command successfully with the SOS 3.5.3 CLC?

Note: we have found that -skipwritable doesn't work unless the SOS Server is version 4.0.

Regarding the version of the databaseX.sos file -- My file for both SOS versions 3 and 4 showed $$$Version 3.0$$$.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

oefe

4.1 client compatible wit 3.5x server or not?

Post by oefe » Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:33 am

corey wrote:Its mostly backwards compatible, although there are a few new features that require both a 4.0 client and server, and there are some issues with getting historical versions of a file when mixing versions.
The readme says:
readme.rtf wrote:Caveats about upgrading from version 3.X

Client/Server Upgrade:

SOS 3.X Clients can communicate with 4.1 Servers, but 4.1 Clients are not compatible with 3.X Servers. In order to use the 4.1 Client, you must also upgrade your Server to version 4.0 or 4.1.
So now I'm confused. Are they compatible or not?

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:33 pm

We haven't tested the 4.1 CLC against SOS 3.5.3. We've heard of problems from users who have tried it. It's not supported.

It's best to use a version of the client that matches the version of the server.

Mismatched versions do work sometimes, for some operations. But if you run into errors, the first thing Tech Support will do is rule out problems due to a mismatch by asking you to try the same operation with matching versions of client and server.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

hkb101

Re: Upgrading to SOS 4.1 from 3.5

Post by hkb101 » Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:41 am

Hi,

In addition to this upgrade(sos 3.5.3 to 4.1). Will there be an incremental cost to upgrade our existing licenses, or may our existing licenses be upgraded at no cost?

Thanks.
corey wrote:Due to changes in the underlying technology of the product and installer, the SourceOffSite 4.1 installer will not upgrade a 3.5 installation. The following instructions explain how to correctly upgrade to 4.1 from 3.5.

Upgrading the Server from 3.5 to 4.1

1. Install the 4.1 Server to a different folder from your existing 3.5 Server installation (the default path given by the 4.1 installer should work).

2. Copy the sossvr.prp and sossvr.kys files from your 3.5 Server installation folder to your 4.1 installation folder.

3. Upgrade your 3.5 serial numbers by going to https://store.sourcegear.com/sgstore/or ... family=sos
Use the Server Manager to configure your new serial numbers.

4. Once the 4.1 Server is working correctly, the 3.5 Server can be manually uninstalled, if desired.

Upgrading the Client from 3.5 to 4.1

1. Install the 4.1 Client to the same location as your existing 3.5 Client.

2. The first time the 4.1 Client is started, it will upgrade your existing server cache files and encryption keys.

3. You can manually uninstall your 3.5 client **before** installing 4.1, if desired, but do NOT delete the 3.5 installation folder and the files that remain after the uninstall has completed.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:15 am

You may need to pay to upgrade your licenses, depending on when you purchased SOS 3.5.3. See this link for details.

http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=615
Linda Bauer
SourceGear