How to roll back to a label/date?

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

Beth

Re: How to roll back to a label/date?

Post by Beth » Fri May 01, 2009 2:39 pm

This is a difficult feature, I think.

I am working on a document that makes it much more clear and easy for rolling back. Just send an email to support at sourcegear.com (attn: Beth) with a link to this forum thread if you would like that to help you through it.

Also, anyone can contact support if they need assistance in a folder/label/date rollback. We're happy to walk you through it.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

brentbordelon

Post by brentbordelon » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:16 am

I'm actually really surprised this hasn't been in since version 1????? It would seem to me that rolling back to a particular point in time is one of the primary features of source control? Am I missing something here?

Beth

Post by Beth » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:50 pm

A person is able to roll back. When it comes to rolling back labels and entire folder contents though, there isn't the option to just click a button to have it done. Right now we have a function that rolls back a file, and then a process for rolling back a folder. If you would like instructions, then send an email to support at sourcegear.com (attn: Beth) and let me know.

I have a feature request open for a one-click rollback of a folder or label that I can add your "vote" to if you would like.
Beth Kieler

tomt84

Post by tomt84 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:39 am

+1 vote for this from me. Severe limitation of Vault, should have been in since forever.

The lack of this feature being in is about to cost me a day's work to remove 4 massive bad checkins.

edit: the trick of getting a labelled copy of the whole tree into a new folder, checking out the entire solution, then copying everything from the label checkout over the checked out main tree actually just worked perfectly. Why can't this process just be automated into one button?
Tom Fanning

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:58 pm

It's a valid request, but there are lots of things to consider in its implementation. It's more complex than my work-around instructions. I have added your vote.

If you find that you have to roll back entire folders often, then you will want to check out our shelve feature in the next version. That should help cut down the amount of folder rollbacks that would be needed or possibly even eliminate the need to do a folder rollback.
Beth Kieler

tomt84

Post by tomt84 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:46 am

When is Vault 5 planned for general release?
Tom Fanning

mcutter

Post by mcutter » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:47 am

I also want to cast my vote for the ability to rollback to a label. I just had two dozen changes to rollback and was shocked to find that there was no automatic way to do this. The recommended solution of checking out the labeled version to a different folder, then checking the entire project out, copying the labeled version to the project and then checking in has the problem that it loses the history of what actually happened, as a rollback is very different than a checkin. I can't imagine what the resistance to such an obvious feature is.

Is this feature in V5?

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:57 am

It's not currently in Vault 5. I can add your vote. Thank you for your feedback.
Beth Kieler

AiRGuNNeR

Post by AiRGuNNeR » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:31 pm

Actually, VSS can do this. Right mouse click on a project, select Show History, then I check Labels only. Now you have a complete listing of all the labels you had created. On the right side of the window are buttons to Get, Share, Check Out, etc..
I have never needed this feature **yet**, but I am stunned to find out that Vault does not support this? If I right mouse click on a project in Vaults, and select "Show Labels", if I then choose a label and under the Action menu select the "Get" option, this doesn't do what we want?

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:56 pm

A Get on a label will put that version into your working folder. What is being talked about here is having a one-click way to make that label be the most recent version in Vault even if more history had happened after the label. The rollback feature is about rolling back what is in your database, not just what is showing up on your disk.
Beth Kieler

TCM

Post by TCM » Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:32 pm

I need to rollback to a label. From reading this thread, I get that this is something Vault can't do, but a lot of posts refer to some kludge or workaround which gets the job done. Can someone document that procedure here? It would really help.

My impression is that the lack of a "one click" rollback feature isn't the problem. The real problem is that when you try to rollback manually to a label or date, you encounter two non-intuitive behaviors that make the process very confusing. Specifically:
1) When you tell Vault to "Check Out" a file marked as "Old" and you choose the "Do not overwrite" option, Vault overwrites the local file.
2) When you tell Vault to "Check In" a file marked as "Old", Vault does an "Undo Check Out" instead of a "Check In".

If Sourcegear would correct those behaviors, I think this rollback would be a non-issue.

-TC

Beth

Post by Beth » Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:53 pm

I have instructions pre-written. I'll get these into a KB article and provide you the link. This will be next week some time. If you'd like to see what I have ready now, then send an email to support at sourcegear.com (attn: Beth) with a link to this forum thread, and I'll send you what I have.
Beth Kieler

Beth

Post by Beth » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:47 am

The KB article has been posted here: Rolling back a folder or label
Beth Kieler

GerstenA

Post by GerstenA » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:18 am

+1 Vote. Since this has been ingrained by VSS, seems like a useful item.

I too am very surprised that this is not already in Vault. Thank you for the work around link

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:11 pm

We have feature request 6745 logged for this functionality; I added your vote.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager