Multiple VS instances

If you are having a problem using Fortress, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

jsiegmund

Multiple VS instances

Post by jsiegmund » Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:58 am

Hello,

I frequently use multiple instances of Visual Studio to write code. Now sometimes two of those instances will both have the same projects open (framework projects which are used across solutions). Now when I check-in changes made to sourcefiles in instance A, those changes aren't reflected in the sourcecontrol plugin in instance B of Visual Studio. When I close the solution and re-open, the pending changes are gone. Also, pressing the directory rescan button doesn't really change anything when pending check-ins are shown.

I thought this was better in the previous version of the Fortress client, but I'm not sure about that.

Kind regards,

Jasper

Beth

Re: Multiple VS instances

Post by Beth » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:44 am

Is the framework project in the same location on disk for both solutions?

Are you using shares in Fortress to share the framework project between the solutions?
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

jsiegmund

Post by jsiegmund » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:50 am

It's the same project on the same location on my local harddrive. Not sure about sharing in Fortress; I just add an existing project to my solution in VS and Fortress picked it up as I expected (as a already source controlled project).

Beth

Post by Beth » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:51 pm

Can you check your pending check-ins and make sure that the changes are getting committed? If they aren't getting committed, and you have a Get happening when you open, then you might be overwriting your changes.

In VS Tools - Options - Source Control - Environment is a setting to perform a Get every time the solution is opened. Is that checked?
Beth Kieler

jsiegmund

Post by jsiegmund » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:36 am

I don't see how that would help? The changes are being committed fine, it's just the second VS plugin which doesn't refresh it's pending changes list. The changes are gone when I reopen the solution, so then the behaviour is as expected.

Beth

Post by Beth » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:38 pm

So, it's only the pending changes that go away you're saying, or are you losing changes?

If you make changes in one, the other other Visual Studio will definitely need to reload the files. That part is normal for Visual Studio and can be duplicated without Vault involved.

Also, are you performing a refresh? You can set Vault to refresh automatically based on certain time periods, but when you have two instances open like this, one instance doing something doesn't trigger the other instance to do anything. Go to your Vault Tools - Options - General and look at your auto-refresh setting. You might want to make that shorter.
Beth Kieler

jsiegmund

Post by jsiegmund » Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:26 am

Ah, the auto refresh setting might be what I was looking for, I'll dive into that.

I'm not losing changes, but the changes committed in client A aren't reflected in client B (they're still listed as changes there). So it's indeed a refresh problem, which the auto refresh time might solve. Is there also a manual refresh button?

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:47 am

To manually refresh in Visual Studio when you're using the Enhanced Client, use File->Fortress Source Control->Refresh Source Control Status.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager