Install error 2753 upgrading Fortress Server 1.1.2 to 2.0.1

If you are having a problem using Fortress, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

sibrowne

Install error 2753 upgrading Fortress Server 1.1.2 to 2.0.1

Post by sibrowne » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:38 am

We have been trying to upgrade Fortress Server 1.1.2 to 2.0.1 without any success. Previous upgrades have always worked perfectly, first time!

Soon after launching the msi file, a dialog box appears with the message "The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2753".
The Event Log shows an error with the same message, with the additional text "The arguments are: CustomActionExe.exe."

We have also tried manually uninstalling the existing Fortress Server install from the Add/Remove Programs control panel, but this produces the same error.

We found a similar thread here, which mentions a Fortress_install.log, which we don't seem to have. The only log generated around the time of the attempted install was MSI5c3bc.LOG and just contained the text mentioned above.

I have some screen shots of the error messages that I can send to you if you think they will help.
Any ideas?

Thanks,
Simon

lbauer

Re: Install error 2753 upgrading Fortress Server 1.1.2 to 2.0.1

Post by lbauer » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:52 am

You can use the Microsoft Cleanup tool to remove the Fortress installation from your machine.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/ ... sicuu2.exe

Then try to install Fortress 1.1.4. If that is successful, install Fortress 2.0.1.

You can download previous versions of Fortress here:
http://www.sourcegear.com/Fortress/downloads2.html
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

sibrowne

Post by sibrowne » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:46 pm

Thanks Linda. I'll try that in the morning, UK time.

If I remove Fortress using the Microsoft Cleanup tool, will it preserve the Fortress database or will I have to restore it from a backup after I have re-installed?

sibrowne

Post by sibrowne » Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:14 am

Yes, that worked fine.

In case anyone else is trying this, I had to point the installer to the correct SQL Server and then tell it to use the existing database. After that, everything worked OK.

Thanks,
Simon

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:15 am

Thanks for the update. That's good news. : )

As you learned, the clean-up tool only removes the installaton files, not the databases.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager