Binary files not checking in and reverting

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

Lane

Binary files not checking in and reverting

Post by Lane » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:03 pm

Another issue with Vault 5.0.1.18729 and the Visual Studio 2008 enhanced client is that binary files do not always check in, and often revert even when they say ‘Checked in.’ This has happened to several users multiple times with SWFs and images of various types.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Check out a binary asset such as an image.
2. Overwrite the image on the filesystem.
3. Use the Visual Studio Vault client to check in the image.
4. Notice that the file has actually been reverted to the latest version from Vault, with the replaced version on the filesystem being lost.

Beth

Re: Binary files not checking in and reverting

Post by Beth » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:57 am

A file that is listed as unmodified by default will not check in. This behavior can be changed though.

I think it would be better first to see why the file is going through an undo check out. After overwriting the image file, check your pending changes. Are items listed as unmodified?

Are the file sizes of both the file checked out and the file that is dropped onto the checked out file the same size?
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:12 am

After dropping the file on the checked out binary file, go to File - Source Control - Refresh Source Control Status. There is also a toolbar you can show that has a button for Refresh Source Control Status. This refresh is different than the refresh that is called only Refresh.

I'm still checking into this, but while I'm doing that, using the Refresh Source Control Status option should make it so that the status of the file goes to modified and it can be checked in.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

ian_sg

Post by ian_sg » Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:07 pm

We've reproduced this issue.

Note that when the file is (incorrectly) reverted, the previous file is backed up in the hidden _sgbak folder, so you can recover the changes there.

The next version of Vault (5.0.2) and Fortress (1.0.2) will include a fix. If you'd like a pre-release build that includes the fix, I can make one available.

I apologize for the inconvenience.
Ian Olsen
SourceGear

Lane

Post by Lane » Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:13 pm

Thanks. Will this require a server-side upgrade, or will the 5.0.2 client run okay with the 5.0.1 database and server app?

ian_sg

Post by ian_sg » Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:32 pm

This is a client-only issue, and a 5.0.2 client will run file with a 5.0.1 server.
Ian Olsen
SourceGear

Lane

Post by Lane » Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:01 pm

Then please get me a pre-release patch or build for this and the other bug I reported asap.

Thanks for your help.

ian_sg

Post by ian_sg » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:48 am

You can download the pre-release Vault 5.0.2 client installer here. This has fixes for both issues you reported. It will run with your existing 5.0.1 server.
Ian Olsen
SourceGear