AutoUpdateStatistics

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

gsmalter

AutoUpdateStatistics

Post by gsmalter » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:42 pm

We just upgraded to 5.x, and I noticed when the server installer was running that it detected sgmaster and sgvault had AutoUpdateStatistics (and another, similar option) enabled, and it disabled them. I remember reading that the vault databases should be treated and maintained (by us) like any other SQL Server database. Why does the installer want those options disabled? If they are disabled, are we expected to periodically, manually update the statistics?

Thanks.
Vault 5.0, Visual Studio 2010, Enhanced Client

drmccue

Re: AutoUpdateStatistics

Post by drmccue » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:24 am

The installer puts the sgvault database into single-user mode.

We have been receiving sporadic reports of installs that fail with the report that the database is in single-user mode, even when we "know" that the installer should have taken the database out of single-user mode at that point.

In an attempt to avoid those sporadic installation failures, we have been disabling certain database options at the start of the database portion of the install. However, those option settings should be restored at the completion of the database portion of the install. If you are experiencing a situation where (a) Auto Update Statistics is on at the beginning of the install and then (b) Auto Update Statistics is off when the installer has finished, please let us know, because that should not be happening. The intent was to disable options during the install and then return them to their previous setting once the installer has finished.

If you still have the install log from your latest upgrade, could you check and see if those disabled options were enabled later in the installation process? They should have been.

Thanks,
Dan McCue
SourceGear

gsmalter

Post by gsmalter » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:38 pm

I don't know where to find the install log, but I looked at the sgvault database itself and it does have AutoUpdateStatistics turned on, so it must have done it.

Thanks.

drmccue

Post by drmccue » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:07 pm

Sorry, should have posted this earlier:

Vault installation log

If you had an unsuccessful installation, we would like to see the Vault installation log. It is named vault_install.log and should be found in your temp folder as defined by the USER's TEMP Environment variable. If you type %temp%, in a browser address bar, it will open your temp folder.

Best regards,
Dan McCue
SourceGear

gsmalter

Post by gsmalter » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:17 pm

Updating upgrade history table...
Putting sgvault database in back in multi-user mode.
Resetting 'Auto Update Statistics' to ON for database sgmaster...OK
Resetting 'Auto Update Statistics' to ON for database sgvault...OK

Looks good. When I installed it, I saw the first part but not the second part.

drmccue

Post by drmccue » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:36 pm

Understood; the end portion of the installation goes by pretty quickly. Thankfully, it is preserved in the installation log for questions just like these. Let us know if we can answer any other questions.

Best regards,
Dan McCue
SourceGear