Lost access to database when restricted users rights.

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

Post Reply
gperez
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:09 pm

Lost access to database when restricted users rights.

Post by gperez » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:23 pm

Hi,

I am using SOS 4.2 and 4.2 clients. I recently added some users to my main project and restricted rights to only some folders to some of them. Since then, nobody can access that project remotely. Users are able to authenticate but the project tree never gets to their computer. We have deleted the .sos files on the client side and still does not work.

Users can still access other databases that I did not touch. I believe I corrupted in some way my rights.dat file. Is that possible?

Also, I can no longer change "Rights by Project" to any user in that Database.

I am attaching a screenshot of the user log. (after a while it says "server closed connection" ).
Thanks.
Attachments
SOS.jpg
If you see a successful attempt in the log is because I logged to the good database first.
SOS.jpg (21.38 KiB) Viewed 4743 times

Beth
Posts: 8550
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:24 pm
Location: SourceGear
Contact:

Re: Lost access to database when restricted users rights.

Post by Beth » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:47 pm

What happens if you try to login with a VSS client? There should be a VSS client installed on the SOS server that you can use to test this out.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

gperez
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:09 pm

Re: Lost access to database when restricted users rights.

Post by gperez » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:01 am

Thanks Beth, the VSS client was installed on the server.

I have good news! Last night I got the solution. Was very tricky, maybe it's a bug.

I just replaced the file database2.sos with database1.sos and restarted the client. Then, updated the project tree and worked like a charm.
Both databases are located in :
C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\SourceGear\SOS\servers\209146224251\

I don't know why the server was timing out when sending the project tree.

I sent the database2.sos to my remote users and that worked for them.

BTW, rights by project had nothing to do with the issue. For some reason "Project security" had got deactivated , so I just had to enable it back in VSS admin Tools/Options/Project Security.

Please let me know if my explanation is not very clear, I could explain further.

Thanks,

Gaston.

Beth
Posts: 8550
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:24 pm
Location: SourceGear
Contact:

Re: Lost access to database when restricted users rights.

Post by Beth » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:12 am

Your explanation is fine. The files database1.sos and database2.sos are cache files.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

Post Reply