Undo checkout leaves local file with new timestamp

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

Lane

Undo checkout leaves local file with new timestamp

Post by Lane » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:32 pm

If I check out a file, edit it, save my changes, then undo checkout and revert changes, the timestamp remains at the time the file was edited. If I then get latest from Vault, it still retains the time it was edited.

Is this by design? Shouldn't the file's timestamp revert to the last time it was checked in?

If this is by design, is it documented somewhere?

Beth

Re: Undo checkout leaves local file with new timestamp

Post by Beth » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:11 am

I see what you mean. I'm checking into whether it should be that way or not. For now, I'm going to call it a bug and log it. If it turns out to be something else, I'll write back with more information.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

coderanger

Post by coderanger » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:40 am

I noticed this, it appears the defaults are all wrong. The defaults should be setting the date/time to the server version on gets, checkouts and undos. But they arent, they default to current time which seems totoally wrong.

GregM

Post by GregM » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:48 pm

coderanger, are you saying that you think the Vault client defaults should be "checkin time" or "modified time" instead of "current time"? That causes havoc with build dependency checking. If I modify a file, build, and then undo it, and it set the time to the last modified time of the last checkin, then my build system doesn't know that it has changed.

If you're always getting a free source tree and building from scratch, then "last modified" time makes sense, but for incremental builds, you definitely want "current time".

Beth

Post by Beth » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:01 pm

Lane: I wasn't sure if it should be this way, so I logged a bug on it anyway.

F: 15293

coderanger: Have you went to the Vault Tools - Options - Local Files and changed the time stamp setting there? You can choose the modification time and the check in time as well. Or, is it a case of where you want current time, but you want the current time as it is on the server and not on your machine? Maybe if you are in a different time zone?

GregM: Thanks for the great input.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support