Can a label be attached during a checkin?

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

Jason71

Can a label be attached during a checkin?

Post by Jason71 » Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:19 am

I was wondering if your product allows you to assign a label during check in within Visual Studio .Net 2003.

If so, how? and if not, how do we get this is on the wish list?

======================
The idea behind can be seen in the following example:
I have six files checked out to fix a defect. I want to be able to check them in and apply a label associated with this change (Defect Number).
This saves me then going into the repository to individually find and apply the label to the changes.

Regards,

Jason

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:50 am

No there is nothing which does this at this time.

May I ask, what are you trying to accomplish with the label?

A solution can contain one or multiple projects. And each project may contain tens, hundreds, or thousands of files. If you plan on using a label, would you want the label on the sub-set of files or on the folder or one of the parent folders? Would a commit / check-in commit be more beneficial on the sub-set case?
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

Jason71

Post by Jason71 » Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:06 am

jclausius wrote:No there is nothing which does this at this time.

May I ask, what are you trying to accomplish with the label?

A solution can contain one or multiple projects. And each project may contain tens, hundreds, or thousands of files. If you plan on using a label, would you want the label on the sub-set of files or on the folder or one of the parent folders? Would a commit / check-in commit be more beneficial on the sub-set case?

Firstly thankyou for your quick response. Just to let you know that after evaluating your product (along with this speedy response) we are currently in the process of putting through an order.

On the first question: We are trying to keep a history of which files were changed for each issue/defect we fixed by using a label.

And on the second question : It would be a subset of files. Sorry for the ignorance but what do you actually mean by commit / check-in commit in relation to what we are trying to achieve.

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:00 am

Jason71 wrote:On the first question: We are trying to keep a history of which files were changed for each issue/defect we fixed by using a label.
For something like this, I would use the Checkin Comment.

You can add checkin comments in one of two ways:

1) On the Pending Checkins tab, enter in the text comment before clicking the checkin button. Note, you may need to click the "Comment" button to display the comment.

2) Check your VS.Net 2003 Source Control settings (Tools -> Options -> Source Control -> General). Verify the "Display silent check in commands.." is unchecked. Now when you check in a change, add any comments to the comment field of the dialog.
Jason71 wrote:Sorry for the ignorance but what do you actually mean by commit / check-in commit in relation to what we are trying to achieve.
This is just a nomenclature issue. In VS.Net changes made to files are invoked through "check in". Vault uses the terminology of commit or committing the change set.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

surak8

Re: Can a label be attached during a checkin?

Post by surak8 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:58 pm

Is there any news about when this feature will be implemented?

Beth

Re: Can a label be attached during a checkin?

Post by Beth » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:00 am

As far as I can tell, labeling in Visual Studio is not feasible in the MSSCCI interface (Vault Classic Client), so doing this for VS 2003 won't be possible. I can have this looked into for the Vault Enhanced Client
and log a request.

F: 13160, 15252
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support