Retrieving changed files

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

michaelpitt

Retrieving changed files

Post by michaelpitt » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:40 pm

Hi there,

I am wondering if I am missing something. I am running SourceOffSite in order to be able to access our SourceSafe database from home via a VPN and it seems to be basically working.

The problem is with getting the latest version. I basically just want to get the files that other members of my team have changed since I last got latest. Usually there will be just a few, but I don't want to have to look at the history and get them file by file. With SourceSafe I could just say Get Latest at the project level and it would (quite quickly) work out which files it has to get and get them. With SourceOffSite it goes away and gets absolutely everything. I have experimented with setting Modification as the local date/time and checking 'Use Checksums', but still it gets everything, even ones with empty status.

The whole point of getting SourceOffSite was so that it would be faster over a VPN, but it is proving a struggle to use.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Michael

lbauer

Re: Retrieving changed files

Post by lbauer » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:17 am

With SOS a Get Latest should just get the latest of files which are newer in the database. If you have the same version of the file in your working folder, it shouldn't get fetched again.

What version of SOS are you using?

What operating system is the client installed on?

Are you doing your Gets with the GUI Client or with the Command Line Client?

What tells you that SOS is getting every file?
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

michaelpitt

Post by michaelpitt » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:58 pm

Hi Linda,

Thank you for your reply.
lbauer wrote:With SOS a Get Latest should just get the latest of files which are newer in the database. If you have the same version of the file in your working folder, it shouldn't get fetched again.
This happens fine as long as we do not shutdown SOS in between
lbauer wrote:What version of SOS are you using?
Newly downloaded 5.0.1 trial
lbauer wrote:What operating system is the client installed on?
Windows 7
lbauer wrote:Are you doing your Gets with the GUI Client or with the Command Line Client?
I am using the GUI client
lbauer wrote:What tells you that SOS is getting every file?
SOS lists the files it is receiving

Some further experimentation shows that when doing two Get Latest commands in a row, the second one does not fetch any files, as you suggest, because all the files now have blank status.
The problem is that when I shut down the SOS client and restart it, it considers that a number of the project folders contain Unknown status files (not all of them mind you, in some folders the files are blank status - this seems very strange.) Therefore doing a Get Latest at this point downloads all the Unknown status files. This is despite the fact that nothing has changed, either in the local files or the SourceSafe database.

Either way, even if the system thinks the files are Unknown status, why doesn't it just check the CRC before proceeding to download the file?

Cheers,
Michael

andrewstanton

Post by andrewstanton » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:54 am

Hi, your problem appears to the the same as I am experiencing (http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic ... 10&t=12824), i.e. that the SOS 5.0.1 client loses (or seemingly corrupts) it's file statuses whenever the client is closed/reopened. It renders the product unusable for me, as I too rely on Get Latest to see which files have been changed by other people in my absence, and I have had to revert to using SOS 4.2 which works reliably. A related symptom I'm experiencing is wrong/phantom results when doing a search in the repository for files with a status of Missing (it brings back a mixture of files that are missing, not missing, and some that do not even belong in the folders shown in the search results).

I reported this back in November '09 but there's been no resolution or recent update on the problem. SourceGear Team - now it appears other people are experiencing this problem will the issue be investigated with more urgency?

Thanks,
Andy.

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:27 am

Michael,

Did ANY of the working folders (of a folder or an ancestor) change between the time of the previous GET to the next GET?
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:29 am

andrewstanton wrote:I reported this back in November '09 but there's been no resolution or recent update on the problem. SourceGear Team - now it appears other people are experiencing this problem will the issue be investigated with more urgency?
Andy, we never went away. The issue was not re-created with in house tests. I posted two last comments, and never heard back. I'd like to definitely track this down and resolve the problem, but without being able to recreate the problem, I need assistance from users in order to know where to look.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:59 am

Michael,

When you do the get:

Is it to a local drive? Network drive? File System Type of location?

Finally, what version of Win 7 are you using (32bit or 64bit)?
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

michaelpitt

Post by michaelpitt » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:03 pm

Hi Jeff,

In order to test this out before purchase (or possibly moving to Vault or Fortress) I installed the server on my workstation at work which is running Win7 32-bit. I installed Visual SourceSafe 2005 just to be sure and the version of ssapi.dll being used by the SOS service is 8.0.50727.1551. The VSS database files are on our company server.
My system at home is running Win7 64-bit and connecting to my machine at work via a VPN. The SOS server is set to use port 3400.

Our solution contains 43 projects, 151 folders and 2102 files. Not a huge project, but big enough not to want to do a Refresh File List on every folder each day.
jclausius wrote:Did ANY of the working folders (of a folder or an ancestor) change between the time of the previous GET to the next GET?
No files changed. I got latest, closed SOS and reran it immediately.
jclausius wrote:When you do the get:
Is it to a local drive? Network drive? File System Type of location?
Finally, what version of Win 7 are you using (32bit or 64bit)?
The get is to a local drive. NTFS.

I am having issues both at work and at home. Obviously it is much more of an issue at home.

Tests today at home seem to indicate that it does not need a shutdown, but merely a disconnection from the SOS server to lose the file status. I went through all 151 folders and did a Refresh File List just to make sure it thought everything was in sync. When I then did a Get Latest it still came up with a few files that it thought might have changed. I cancelled the function and it disconnected from the server. Not sure why it should do this? After it reconnected again all the files were back to Unknown again. Very frustrating.

I can understand if SOS decides at startup that the file status is unknown, after all they could have changed. How easy would it be though to have an option on the Refresh File List command to make it recursive? I mean there is even the option in the Options/General tab "Act on Projects Recursively". Clearly this has no effect on the Refresh File List command.
In any case the Get Latest command executed on a folder surely should do a Refresh File List before it actually does the get. If it did then we wouldn't have this problem.

Cheers,
Michael

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:56 am

There is a problem with the GET command that retrieves too much info. This will be addressed in a soon to be released maintenance patch. When ready, I'd like for you to try it to see if it resolves this issue.

In regards to cancelling an operation, the SOS client merely closes the socket connection and reconnects. The files shouldn't be going unknown, so I'll need to take a look to see what is going on there.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

michaelpitt

Post by michaelpitt » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:47 pm

Hi Jeff,

Some further tests: if I run the SOS client on Windows XP, accessing the server running on the Win7 machine, everything works fine.
I tried running the SOS client on Win7 as administrator but this didn't relieve the problem.

Happy to try a patched version.

Just noticed the SOS server seems to store checked out files in a temp directory under its Program Files directory. I wouldn't have thought this was a good place to put things, expecially under Win7. Should really be under ProgramData (the old "All Users\Application Data" under XP - i.e. CSIDL_COMMON_APPDATA).

Cheers,
Michael

KLI

Post by KLI » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:40 am

jclausius wrote:There is a problem with the GET command that retrieves too much info. This will be addressed in a soon to be released maintenance patch. ...
Hi, I have the same problem (SoS 5.01 running on WinXP-Pro SP3, local NTFS disk).
I do have the check boxes "Use Checksums (CRC) to Determine "Unknown" File Status" and "Use Read-Only Flag for files that are Not Checked Out".

This "Unknown" status also makes SoS prompt me for overwriting each file, even though the local files are Read-Only and I find that rather unnerving.

Do you know when the maintenance patch will be released?

Thanks,

Edward Clements

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:12 am

Edward wrote:Do you know when the maintenance patch will be released?
Edward,

Q/A needs to wrap up my changes for this. So, most likely week after next. Assuming I didn't totally bust anything.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:19 am

michaelpitt wrote:Just noticed the SOS server seems to store checked out files in a temp directory under its Program Files directory. I wouldn't have thought this was a good place to put things, expecially under Win7. Should really be under ProgramData (the old "All Users\Application Data" under XP - i.e. CSIDL_COMMON_APPDATA).
While not ideal, the server still ships with a configuration it has used for different systems in the past. If you need to, you can change the location from the SOS Server Manager -> Optional tab -> near the bottom.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:20 am

michaelpitt wrote:Happy to try a patched version.
Michael,

Let's see what QA does with this over next week, and we can revisit this.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:53 pm

Michael,

Another question... about how many FOLDERS are there within the VSS database?
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear