Does Vault have a "bisect" feature?

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

joshyeager

Does Vault have a "bisect" feature?

Post by joshyeager » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:23 pm

I posted this on Stack Overflow recently: "After a bug has been located and fixed, we would like to trace the bug back to the change that originally caused it. That way, our team can look at it and learn how to avoid that type of bug in future changes. Obviously, if automated tests catch the bug, then it was probably a recent change. But that doesn't work in the case where the bug made it into the wild before it was caught. Are there any tools that can go through the source control history and make an educated guess about which changeset caused a certain bug?"

The responses I got said that several VCS products have a feature called "bisect", which sounds like exactly what we were looking for. Does Vault have that feature?

Thanks!
Josh

Beth

Re: Does Vault have a "bisect" feature?

Post by Beth » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:40 pm

We don't currently have the feature, but I could add a feature request for you if you would like.

One way to do sort of the same thing would be to use continuous integration builds. When any one change occurs which causes a problem, the unit tests ran during continuous integration builds immediately notify you that a problem was introduced by the person committing the transaction which just caused the build to fail.

F: 15278
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

joshyeager

Post by joshyeager » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:35 pm

Yeah, integration tests are good for catching bugs, but we're looking for a way to find that cause of a bug if does slip through the integration tests. Please put in a feature request for me.

Thanks!
Josh

Beth

Post by Beth » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:53 pm

Got it. Thanks.

F: 15278
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support