Need STATUS command or filtered LISTCHECKOUTS

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

davenovak

Need STATUS command or filtered LISTCHECKOUTS

Post by davenovak » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:40 am

It would be really nice to have a STATUS command (command-line Vault) for showing the current status and version of a specific file. And by "status" I mean it should show whether the file is checked out or not and if checked out, by whom, and whether the checkout is exclusive.

LISTCHECKOUTS is somewhat useful for this task except that it shows all checkouts for the repository. An easy compromise would be to change LISTCHECKOUTS so that it took an option start location parameter, which indicated at what point in the repository tree to start the search (with $/ being the default).

I've noticed that others have requested something similar years ago (http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5323) but still no traction here. To me, such a change would be an example of the classic "low hanging fruit" which developers and manager eagerly yearn for (in that this is a seemingly quick and easy change, yet it fulfills a need).

Beth

Re: Need STATUS command or filtered LISTCHECKOUTS

Post by Beth » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:42 pm

Have you tried the listfolder command? It would list the status of each file in the folder. That may be more than you need, but might get you what you want.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

davenovak

Post by davenovak » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:48 pm

Actually, in truth I did not realize that LISTFOLDER also showed the checkout status of the file (which is nice). But you're right that it actually is showing me more information than what I really want (in that I get the status of every file in that branch and down). However, it's still probably better than LISTCHECKOUTS, which shows me all checkouts for the entire repository. So, for now, I think I'll switch to using LISTFOLDER.

Nevertheless, I maintain that adding an optional start location to parameter to LISTCHECKOUTS is "low hanging fruit" and a change that should be made and could be done quite easily.

But thanks for the tip!

Beth

Post by Beth » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:45 pm

I went ahead and entered a new feature request.

F: 15349
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support