Calls To Add and Rename Take a Long/Are Too Slow

Examples of programs integrating with Vault and Fortress API. Also, information on integrating with NAnt, CruiseControl.Net and other third-party tools

Moderator: SourceGear

splatteredbits

Re: Calls To Add and Rename Take a Long/Are Too Slow

Post by splatteredbits » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:00 pm

How do I attach to the UserMessage event. This:

Code: Select all

// ... snip ...
ServerOperations.UserMessage += VaultMessagHandler
// ... snip ...

private void HandleUserMessage(object sender, string message)
{
   // ... snip ...
}
gives me a compiler error: "Cannot access non-static event 'UserMessage' in static context." I can't find any sample code anywhere.

jeremy_sg

Post by jeremy_sg » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:04 pm

You need to use:

ServerOperations.GetInstance().UserMessage
Subscribe to the Fortress/Vault blog

splatteredbits

Post by splatteredbits » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:35 pm

How do I get the API to behave like the GUI with respect to unchanged files? In the GUI, if a file has been modified, but unchanged, it is updated so that it no longer shows as updated and a new version is not added to the file's history. When I commit via the API, an unchanged file gets checked-in so that a new version is added to its history.

Here is my code:

ServerOperations.ProcessCommandCommit(changes, UnchangedHandler.UndoCheckout, false, LocalCopyType.Replace, false);
I've also tried LocalCopyType.Leave but the same thing happens.

jeremy_sg

Post by jeremy_sg » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:42 pm

The UnchangedHandler.UndoCheckout should trigger the behavior that you want. Can you post a log file showing the superfluous checkin?

splatteredbits

Post by splatteredbits » Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:29 pm

The file is Unchanged.txt. In my test, I read the contents of the file and then overwrite the file with those same contents, like this:

var contents = File.ReadAllText(@"Unchanged.txt");
File.WriteAllText(@"Unchanged.txt", contents);
And when I call

var changes = ServerOperations.ProcessCommandListChangeSet(new string[] { @"Unchanged.txt" });
ServerOperations.ProcessCommandCommit(changes, UnchangedHandler.UndoCheckout, false, LocalCopyType.Leave, false);
The file is still checked-out and a new version is created in Vault. If I diff the two versions, they are showing as no change.
Attachments
Vault20090811152052.txt
(1.5 MiB) Downloaded 1806 times

jeremy_sg

Post by jeremy_sg » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:03 am

Because you wrote to the file, the timestamp has changed. Thus Vault thinks the file is Modified. If you want to check using the CRC of the contents instead of the timestamp, set the Use CRC Instead of Timestamp checkbox in the GUI client's Tools->Options->Local Files dialog.

splatteredbits

Post by splatteredbits » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:53 am

If I update a file's timestamp, usually by modifying the file but not changing it, this is what happens:

* When I choose "Commit selected operations..." in the GUI, the file is "un-checked-out" and the Version number of the file stays the same (it stays at 50).

* When I run the CLI command `vault.exe commit -host vault -repository Repo Modified.txt` the file is checked-in and given a new version number (increases from 50 to 51).

* When I call ServerOperations.ProcessCommandCommit(changes, UnchangedHandler.UndoCheckout, false, LocalCopyType.Leave, false); the behavior is the same as the CLI: the file is checked-in and given a new version number (increases from 51 to 52).

The GUI does *not* use the CRC method, yet it still un-checks-out the file. I want that behavior in the CLI and API. What do I do to get it?

pierre-chew

Post by pierre-chew » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:10 pm

I am having a similar problem. When I perform a rename of a file in Visual Studio 2008 or I add a file to the solution, it can take up to 20 minutes for the whole process to complete. When I have to perform a number of these types of operations, I now just take the solution offline, perform my adds and renames and then bring the solution back online. It still takes 20 minutes for the whole operation to complete but at least I can do everythign at once.

I have tried what was specified above but that did not seem to fix the problem. I am running version 5.0.2 of vault. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Pierre
pchew@planelements.com