Unable to Retrieve Project - Please Help!

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

BrianDrab

Re: Unable to Retrieve Project - Please Help!

Post by BrianDrab » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:15 am

jclausius wrote:Brian,

Let's try the SAME test under VS 2008. Please follow my steps in your environment:
Before I do this, I wanted to confirm VS 2008 or VS 2005???
Brian C Drab

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:29 am

Visual Studio 2008. My earlier note, from Feb 19th, was tested with Visual Studio 2005.

Also note, I *THINK* you may not HAVE to edit the .vdproj file if you choose the correct working folder. In the above post, when I used a working folder of D:\, then the .vdproj (which contained an ABSOLUTE path name) would not be changed because everything was retrieved to D:\Outside\.

When I used D:\XYZ as the working folder, that is when I needed to change the .vdproj file to contain a relative path. Since the file is actually at a different location within the VSS database.

Does that make sense?
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

BrianDrab

Post by BrianDrab » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:22 pm

jclausius wrote:Brian,

Let's try the SAME test under VS 2008. Please follow my steps in your environment:
I followed your instructions exactly, however after Step#8 under simulate a different user I received several error messages like this one.
Error1.jpg
Error1.jpg (12.46 KiB) Viewed 14801 times
Then I recieved this error message.
Error2.jpg
Error2.jpg (30.93 KiB) Viewed 14801 times
I had to put C:\Test for the working folder in order for everything to retrieve.
Brian C Drab

BrianDrab

Post by BrianDrab » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:23 pm

BrianDrab wrote:I'm not really clear on this. But at this point what are we trying to do? Sorry, I'm a little foggy. Is this a proposed workaround for dealing with Shared Files outside working directories??
The note regarding a Working Folder assignment was attempting to solve the problem that *.vdproj files use ABSOLUTE paths instead of RELATIVE paths. Normally, I would never recommend anyone set the root of ANY drive as a working folder. However, in the case of using a Microsoft Setup Project, if you DO NOT WANT to edit the *.vdproj files by hand, setting the working folder at the right location will allow you to work with the solution / project without having to edit the file.

Does that explanation clear things up?
Brian C Drab

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:07 am

BrianDrab wrote:I followed your instructions exactly, however after Step#8 under simulate a different user I received several error messages like this one.
Can you verify the project paths within VSS?

For instance, my solution looks like the following:

$/Sol1.root/
$/Sol1.root/Sol1/
$/Sol1.rool/Sol1/Outside/
$/Sol1.root/Sol1/Outside/file.txt
$/Sol1.root/Sol1/Test/
$/Sol1.root/Sol1/Test/BDrab/
$/Sol1.root/Sol1/Test/BDrab/Sol1/
$/Sol1.root/Sol1/Test/BDrab/Sol1/Sol1.sln
$/Sol1.root/Sol1/Test/BDrab/Sol1/Proj1/
$/Sol1.root/Sol1/Test/BDrab/Sol1/Proj1/Proj1.vcproj
$/Sol1.root/Sol1/Test/BDrab/Sol1/Setup1/
$/Sol1.root/Sol1/Test/BDrab/Sol1/Setup1/Setup1.vdproj

$/Sol1.root/Sol1/ has a working folder of D:\
$/Sol1.root/Sol1/Test/BDrab/Sol1/ has a working folder of D:\Test\BDrab\Sol1

Does your setup look similar?
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

BrianDrab

Post by BrianDrab » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:43 am

Here is what it looks like in VSS
Structure.jpg
Structure.jpg (13 KiB) Viewed 14797 times
The workinig folders were not like yours. They were still inheriting. I believe your steps under simulate a DIFFERENT user were not complete.

You said "Finally at Sol1.root, I removed all working folder properties as well as cleared working folders for the sub-folders." You didn't tell me what to set the new working folder to. Now I see that you wanted me to set it to D:\

Once I did this, then I was able to repeat your steps successfully.
Brian C Drab

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:41 am

Sorry about that.

In Step 3, you would show the working folder within $/Sol1.root, UNSET the working folder, and check the option to REMOVE any assigned working folder from sub-folders.

In Step 8, when picking the project from the TREE within the dialog, ALSO use D:\ at the BOTTOM where it asks for a working folder assignment.

I'm glad you were able to get the test case up and running. It should serve as a model when you implement your real projects and solutions.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

BrianDrab

Post by BrianDrab » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:16 am

jclausius wrote:Sorry about that.

In Step 3, you would show the working folder within $/Sol1.root, UNSET the working folder, and check the option to REMOVE any assigned working folder from sub-folders.

In Step 8, when picking the project from the TREE within the dialog, ALSO use D:\ at the BOTTOM where it asks for a working folder assignment.

I'm glad you were able to get the test case up and running. It should serve as a model when you implement your real projects and solutions.
So how do you UNSET the working folder???? What is the procedure for this. I don't see how you can do this...only change it.
Brian C Drab

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:48 pm

BrianDrab wrote:So how do you UNSET the working folder???? What is the procedure for this. I don't see how you can do this...only change it.
Within the GUI client, you can view all working folders, and delete them from within the Dashboards' Working Folder tab.

Or you can pick a top level folder, bring up the working folder assignments dialog, choose to unset and check the option to remove assignments on sub-folders.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

BrianDrab

Post by BrianDrab » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:29 pm

Can you be more specific on how to do this? Step by Step?

Thanks.
Brian C Drab

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:20 pm

• Start the GUI client
  • On the bottom, you should see a tab for working folders. If not, go to the Tools ribbon panel, find View -> Working Folders.
  • Activate the Dashboard's Working Folder Tab.
  • Select any working folder assignments you wish to eliminate, and hit <Del> or Delete from the context menu.
  • Affirm any dialogs.
Another way to accomplish this:
  • Select the folder in question in the folder view. You can see from the file view if a working folder is assigned. You cannot change "(inherited)" working folders, so this only applies where working folders are specifically assigned.
  • From the context menu or General Ribbon panel, use Working Folder Settings.
  • Within this dialog, choose "Do not use working folder." Note, if there is no working folder assigned, this radio button may read "Use inherited working folder." Also check the option to Remove subfolder's assigned working folder.
  • Click OK, and affirm any subsequent dialogs.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear