Can't check in edited file

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

mattGreatPond

Can't check in edited file

Post by mattGreatPond » Thu Aug 05, 2004 1:05 pm

I have edited 2 files in my IDE (.cpp and .rc). I look in the Vault client and see both files correctly have the edited status - but only the .cpp is listed in the pending change set. If right click on the .rc and select 'check in...' - nothing happens except a screen redraw. :shock: If right click on the .cpp and select 'check in...' - I get the check in dialog box as expected. Shutting down the Vault client and starting it up again solves the problem. I have seen this a few times but I don't have any steps as to how to reproduce it. :(

sterwill

Post by sterwill » Thu Aug 05, 2004 1:38 pm

It sounds like Vault isn't picking up the file edits and creating a pending change set item for your files. This happens often with some programs, like Microsoft Word, but Vault has always been able to pick up changes by Visual Studio's text editor in our testing.

You can check out the file before you edit it to cause Vault to examine the file's status in a different way. Checked out files are given a special examination on all refreshes; it would be inefficient and slow to examine all files in all working folders on every refresh, so we rely on Windows to notify us of changes. Sometimes we don't get that notification.

[edited to clarify the part about Microsoft Word]
Shaw Terwilliger
SourceGear LLC
`echo sterwill5sourcegear6com | tr 56 @.`

mattGreatPond

Post by mattGreatPond » Fri Aug 06, 2004 10:34 am

It sounds like Vault isn't picking up the file edits and creating a pending change set item for your files.
Right, but Vault is correctly setting the status of the file as 'edited' in the Client GUI. One part of the Vault client knows the file is edited, but the other doesn't.

dan

Post by dan » Fri Aug 06, 2004 11:54 am

This part of it is a bug in Vault, which we do plan to address in the next major release.