Moved Fortress to Win2k8 all works except no e-mail alerts

If you are having a problem using Fortress, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

KenBirch

Moved Fortress to Win2k8 all works except no e-mail alerts

Post by KenBirch » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:27 pm

Hello Support
I have just recently moved Fortress V1.1.4 from a server running Win2k3 to a new server running Win2k8-R2. Everything is working fine except the e-mail alerts are not appearing. IIS7 uses IIS6-SMTP so everything should be the same, but I looked at the 'inetpub/mailroot' directories and there was nothing there from Fortress, or are you using SQL-Server-Mail?

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards Ken Birch :(

lbauer

Re: Moved Fortress to Win2k8 all works except no e-mail alerts

Post by lbauer » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:34 pm

We haven't tested Fortress 1.1.4 on Windows Server 2008 R2. I'm setting up a VM with that configuration to see if email works.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

KenBirch

Post by KenBirch » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:44 am

Hello Linda
Thank you for investigating my problem. I though you would like a bit more information about my set-up.
The SMTP service is using 'serverxxxx.uk2net.com' as its fully-qualified domain name and uses the normal port 25. Fortress is set-up to use 'serverxxxx.uk2net.com' as the SMTP server with port 25 (the same URL), but the Fortress setting for Server URL is 'fortress.xxx.uk', although they resolve to the same IPv4 address (---). My server has 3 IPv4 address and 4 SQL-Server instances, other applications are using the SMTP service successfully, but that does not mean it is set-up correctly, it just appears to work ok. The SQL Server is 2k8, and IIS is version 7.5 although the SMTP part uses the IIS6 interface.
Any suggestions greatfully accepted. :)
Last edited by KenBirch on Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:49 am

After a number of work-arounds, I was finally able to get an installation of Fortress 1.1.4 on Windows 2008 R2. (Note: Fortress 1.1.4 is not fully supported on Windows 2008 R2.)

I did confirm that email notifications from both item tracking and source control ops worked. So the issue might be in your mail server setup. Fortress uses SMTP and the functionality is on the client side.

Does your mail server use authentication? If not, try setting up a custom user email account and use that account in the authentication portion of the Fortress Server email configuration.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

KenBirch

Post by KenBirch » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:02 am

Hello Linda
Thank you for your suggestion, I used a User Account for the authentication credentials in Fortress e-mail set-up and now it all works correctly again. Thank you for your help.

Kind regards Ken Birch :D

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:42 am

Thanks for the update. That's good news. : )
Linda Bauer
SourceGear