.filters file isn't checked out as slave of master .vcxproj

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

ThomasH

.filters file isn't checked out as slave of master .vcxproj

Post by ThomasH » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:18 am

Visual Studio 2010
We are using the enhanced client version 5.0.4.18845 and if we add new files to a project the vcxproj file is automatically checked out, but not the correspondig .filters file. So we can't compile the project, we receive a error message nothing talking about the .filters file...
In the Visual Studio 2010 blog they talk about master - slave features of enhanced clients. Is there any way to configure Vault to do that correctly?

lbauer

Re: .filters file isn't checked out as slave of master .vcxproj

Post by lbauer » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:38 pm

I was able to reproduce this problem. The .filters file is checked out if the entire solution is checked out and also if an item is removed from the project, but it is not checked out during an Add operation.

We'll need to look into this further as we have not had reports of this previously.

In the meantime, one option would be to manually check out the filter file and keep it checked out. Another option would be to use CVS mode in your development, which makes all files writable. With CVS mode you don't need to check out files. Just start modifying them and they will be added to your Pending Change Set and from there you can Commit them to the repository.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

ThomasH

Post by ThomasH » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:14 am

ok, thank you for the information. Would be nice to have this solved in the next update... :D

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:17 am

I agree.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

gvdkamp

Re: .filters file isn't checked out as slave of master .vcxp

Post by gvdkamp » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:41 am

Hmmm, one developer complained about the fact that the .filters was not checked out. The problem has not been fixed yet?

we're using Vault Professional 5.1.1.19216.

Regards,
Ger van der Kamp

Beth

Post by Beth » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:55 am

Did your .filters file automatically add when you added the project to Vault through Visual Studio? If you used the Vault GUI client to add the entire project, then let me know.

Are you using the Vault Enhanced Client or the Vault Classic Client? I think the Classic client will check out the .filters file in some particular instances (similar to VSS). See this article here about some changes made to the .filters file: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/vcblog/archive/ ... iders.aspx.

I have a feature request open to put this functionality into our Enhanced Client that I've added your vote to.

F: 15552
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

gvdkamp

Post by gvdkamp » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:17 am

These are projects which have been going for a while. Development started in VS2005 and we used the wizard to migrate the project-files to VS2010. I guess we added the projects manually using the GUI. Is this causing the problems? Is there something missing in the project files or in vault?

Yes we're using the Vault Enhanced Client. Do I understand it correctly that the Classic Client will detect a checkout of a project file and will do an automatic checkout of the .filters file as well? Adding this feature to the enhanced client would solve our problem. :)

Ger van der Kamp

Beth

Post by Beth » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:32 am

Is the .filters file in Vault then?

The filters issue is something new that has come up. Based on what I found on it, I *think* the Vault Classic client will still check out that file, because the interface it uses didn't change. The request I put in for the Enhanced Client would fix this, but it's still currently open.

In the meantime, you would either need to manually check out the .filters file or you can try the Vault Classic Client.
Beth Kieler

ThomasH

Post by ThomasH » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:58 am

Now, nearly 2 years later this issue is still not fixed. Will it be fixed in the upcoming 6.0?

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:54 am

This one has been fixed for Vault 6.0.
Beth Kieler

ThomasH

Post by ThomasH » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:05 am

Thanks a lot...
Thomas

Beth