Search Tab Returns No Results

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

davenovak

Search Tab Returns No Results

Post by davenovak » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:03 am

I've now witnessed this problem on at least 2 different computers: a recursive search by Any Status returns no results yet there are certainly results to be retrieved (old files, missing files, renegade, etc). No messages or errors, just no results.

The telltale sign of failure is that the "results" are returned immediately and the Ready status is displayed instantly. Normally it takes 10 or more seconds to search for such results, depending on how deep I am in the tree.

Any idea as to what might be wrong or how to fix it? I am using Vault version 5.0.3.18802

lbauer

Re: Search Tab Returns No Results

Post by lbauer » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:51 am

We haven't had many reports of this, but one user was able to resolve the problem by deleting the client side cache.

Close any open clients first.

http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic ... 13&t=11513
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

davenovak

Post by davenovak » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:57 am

Closing / re-opening client did nothing. Resetting cache didn't help either.

It works fine on my machine, but for a couple of people Search just isn't working.

Question: What impact would Cloaked folders have on the results? What if the root folder was Cloaked (which is something that's easy to miss if you're several levels deep in your tree)?

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:02 pm

Checking for Cloaked folders was going to be my next suggestion. The search would skip cloaked folders and their subfolders.

Try uncloaking $/ and see if that make a difference.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

davenovak

Post by davenovak » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:13 pm

To be clear, the root $/ was not cloaked, rather a folder off of the root was cloaked (e.g., $/abc) and I was trying to do a recursive search from the folder $/abc/def/ghi/jkl. Uncloaking $/abc seemed to resolve the issue.

But here's the strange thing: we ran this same search on the same folders yesterday and it DID return results; now suddenly nothing (and $/abc was always cloaked yesterday).

Could you please explain (in detail) the impact of cloaking on search results? I understand that cloaking may hide the results of children that are cloaked, but why hide results if I'm explicitly searching within a folder whose ancestor is cloaked? The normal file list (adjacent to the folder list) correctly shows the Status of files in this case; why not the Search tab?

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:52 am

Not sure why the cloaked folder suddenly gave results.

In general, cloaking a folder tells the client to ignore operations on that folder. There are some direct operations that override this, like Get, Checkout, etc., but not Search. I can log a feature request to search a cloaked folder if it is explicitly selected.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

davenovak

Post by davenovak » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:11 am

I want to be clear that I'm talking about a parent/ancestor folder that was cloaked, not a child folder. I would agree that I don't expect to necessarily see results from a cloaked child folder, nor would I expect Get Latest to pull files from a cloaked child folder (as that's the point of cloaking in the first place).

However, if I drill down into a cloaked folder, I think it's fair to see search results at that time. Clearly all other operations and status reporting works when I drill into a cloaked folder, why not search? For even more proof, I should point out that I can do a Get Latest operation on a folder whose parent is cloaked and it does in fact do a get of those files (despite the parent folder being cloaked). I can even do a Filename Search at that level and it works properly, though an Any Status search does NOT work.

My point is: why so inconsistent when parent/ancestor folder is cloaked? It seems quite reasonable to me that, once I explicitly drill in to any folder (cloaked or not), all operations should work.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:49 am

My point is: why so inconsistent when parent/ancestor folder is cloaked? It seems quite reasonable to me that, once I explicitly drill in to any folder (cloaked or not), all operations should work.
You're right, it should be consistent. The current behavior has been logged as bugg 12627 and I've added your comments. We'll be evaluating it for an upcoming release of Vault/Fortress.

Thanks for the feedback.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear