Checking out files in VS2K8

If you are having a problem using Fortress, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

StuartHemming

Checking out files in VS2K8

Post by StuartHemming » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:20 am

I have a installed a single-user version of Fortress and the Enhanced VS client in VS2K8.

I would have thought that I would be able to checkout a file directly from VS, hut I'll be damned if I can figure out how.

The options dialog under Source Control | Integration Options in VS suggests that I should expect Fortress to auto checkout files for me, but I can't seem to get it to do that either. ATM, I'm having to manually check out files in the Fortress client if I want to be able to edit and save them in VS.

What am I doing wrong?

Beth

Re: Checking out files in VS2K8

Post by Beth » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:37 am

In order to use Fortress in Visual Studio you need to take a few additional steps. There are multiple ways to do this.

In VS Tools - Options - Source Control - Plug-in, you need to set it to use either the Fortress Classic Client or the Fortress Enhanced Client.

What happens after setting the client depends on which client you chose. The actions are similar, but the names of the functions you choose may be a little different.

To open a project from Fortress:
  • Go to File - Fortress Source Control - Open from Fortress or go to File - Source Control - Open from Source Control.
    Select the folder that holds the .sln file and choose the location where the project or solution should be placed. Click OK.
    You should see either locks next to the files or green circles with white check marks. These icons indicate that the solution and projects are bound.
To open and bind from disk:
  • Open the solution.
    Set your client under VS Tools - Options - Source Control - Plug-in.
    Go to File - Fortress Source Control - Change Fortress Bindings or File - Source Control - Change Source Control.
    Select a line from the window and click Bind.
    Choose the folder that contains either the project you selected or the .sln file if that's what you selected and click OK.
    In the binding window, you should have a status of valid on the item you just bound. If it's invalid, then the wrong folder was chosen.
    Bind each line and click OK.
    Check in the changes made. Those changes were the bindings being written to the files.
After a solution is bound, then you can open it from disk or recent projects and still have your bindings.

New Projects that aren't in Fortress yet:
  • Open the project in VS.
    Set your client in VS Tools - Options - Source Control - Plug-in.
    Right-click the top of your solution and select either Add to Fortress or Add to Source Control.
    Check in any changes.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

StuartHemming

Post by StuartHemming » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:47 am

Thanks Beth.

Did the binding thing in VS and now it's working.

And so, on with the show ...
Stuart
Using Fortress 2.04 (18845)

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:33 pm

Thanks for the update. I'm happy to hear you are able to move forward with it.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support