Powerpoint Attachments

If you are having a problem using Fortress, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

hsconnor

Powerpoint Attachments

Post by hsconnor » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:39 am

We're having a problem using the Web Interface - Item Tracking. When a powerpoint attachment is attached to an item, and a user is viewing the item using Internet Explorer, when they click on the attachment to open it, the powerpoint presentation is blank. This problem does not happen when using Firefox and it also does not occur if the user saves the attachment to their local system and opens it from there.

The problem just started happening when we upgraded to Fortress Version 2.0.3.18802. The problem does not appear to be related to a particular version of Powerpoint.

Thanks.

Beth

Re: Powerpoint Attachments

Post by Beth » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:09 pm

I just ran a few tests with Fortress 2.0.3 and Fortress 2.0.4 and wasn't able to reproduce the issue with a Powerpoint presentation here.

Could you provide me step-by-step instructions of what the user clicks on to view them? There's a couple different places.

Also, if the user is clicking on a version number, does IE pop open a window offering to either open or save the file?

Which version of Internext Explorer are you using?
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

hsconnor

Post by hsconnor » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:58 pm

Hi Beth,

I can send you screenshots of how to reproduce the problem, but I can't see how to attach files to this forum (I'm sure I'm missing something). Here are the steps, though:

1. Click on the Attachments tab of the item.
2. Click on the .ppt attachment.
3. You are prompted for whether to open or save the file. Click on "Open".
4. Powerpoint starts, but a blank presentation is displayed. The odd thing is that the powerpoint file's name is not displayed at the top of the powerpoint screen. Instead, it displays "Login [Read only]".

If you need to see the screenshots, let me know how I can send them to you.

Thanks,

Helen

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:51 pm

Thank you for the additional information. Now I'm going about it in the right way. On my system, IE actually attempts to open it if I click Open, and Firefox won't open it if I click Open. Since we're both getting different behaviors, I suspect there's a setting somewhere that tells either Windows or Powerpoint how this file is to be opened by default. I will try to get mine to open with Powerpoint.
Beth Kieler

Beth

Post by Beth » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:47 pm

I have the Open button now successfully opening the presentation in PowerPoint, but I'm unable to reproduce what you are seeing.

Try going to the area you have configure for IE to save the file when opening and see if opening it directly opens the file correctly. What does that do?
Beth Kieler