Running multiple instances on a box

If you are having a problem using Fortress, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

jsiegmund

Running multiple instances on a box

Post by jsiegmund » Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:53 am

Hi,

I would like to install a second Fortress instance on a box which already has one instance in place. Is this supported / possible? I assume the installer won't help since it will detect the installed instance and offer to repair / remove it? So what about copying the IIS directories; editing the connection strings and pointing those to a copy of the databases?

If this works; what will happen with an upgrade?

lbauer

Re: Running multiple instances on a box

Post by lbauer » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:21 am

We don't support multiple instances of Fortress on the same machine. What problem are you trying to solve? Perhaps we can give you some suggestions.

jsiegmund

Post by jsiegmund » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:24 am

lbauer wrote:We don't support multiple instances of Fortress on the same machine. What problem are you trying to solve? Perhaps we can give you some suggestions.
Hi Linda,

We have two programming departments, one for Progress one for Microsoft. I was told you can use your licences on as many Fortress servers as you want, so I was thinking of setting up a second one for the Progress guys to try out. Since we won't be sharing sourcecode any how, it can be a completely seperate server.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:45 am

I was told you can use your licences on as many Fortress servers as you want
Yes, but ONLY FOR THE SAME USERS.

Fortress is licensed by named user. If you have 10 Fortress users, each user needs a license. You can use those licenses in a different Fortress server for those same users to connect to.

However if you also use those licenses for a different team, you now have more total named users than licenses, and you are in violation of our license agreement.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

jsiegmund

Post by jsiegmund » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:08 pm

lbauer wrote:
I was told you can use your licences on as many Fortress servers as you want
Yes, but ONLY FOR THE SAME USERS.

Fortress is licensed by named user. If you have 10 Fortress users, each user needs a license. You can use those licenses in a different Fortress server for those same users to connect to.

However if you also use those licenses for a different team, you now have more total named users than licenses, and you are in violation of our license agreement.
I'll have to look up the response to this same question which I got some time ago (from someone else though), but that stated that this approach was legit. Because I didn't trust it back then (what you're saying now does make more sense from a marketing perspective) I had that verified a second time, but the statement was that I could set up as many servers that I liked and connect the number of users we have licences for, not restricted by anything.

This is quite a disappointment for us and I'm affraid that this will probably mean the Progress team will switch to the Fortress user licences we have now, and we will switch to TFS for which we have unlimited licences (Gold partner) but we just didn't use those up till now because we like Fortress.

jsiegmund

Post by jsiegmund » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:04 am

Linda, you should be able to track the conversation down on number 215067. Could you please review that e-mail conversation I had with Dixie? Thanks.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:35 am

Thanks for the info. I found the email communication and have forwarded it to our head of sales. He should be getting in touch with you.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager