The ONLY feature missing? Dreamweaver Integration

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

Shannon J Hager

The ONLY feature missing? Dreamweaver Integration

Post by Shannon J Hager » Tue Feb 17, 2004 2:51 pm

if there were a way to integrate Vault with DreamWeaver MX 2004 like it is already integrated with Visual Studio, my life would be SO MUCH easier. Many of the designers I work with are deathly allergic to anything resembling code.

So, if you guys are sitting around searching for new features to add, I suggest a Dreamweaver extension.

ericsink

Re: The ONLY feature missing? Dreamweaver Integration

Post by ericsink » Tue Feb 17, 2004 3:40 pm

Shannon J Hager wrote:if there were a way to integrate Vault with DreamWeaver MX 2004 like it is already integrated with Visual Studio, my life would be SO MUCH easier. Many of the designers I work with are deathly allergic to anything resembling code.

So, if you guys are sitting around searching for new features to add, I suggest a Dreamweaver extension.
We have seriously considered this feature, but we just aren't convinced. Although we use DreamWeaver for the maintenance of our own corporate website, we are not experts, nor do we really know much about the DreamWeaver community. I have gotten the impression that most DreamWeaver users just don't really use source control at all. Any comment on that?

Thanks for the note.
Eric Sink
Software Craftsman
SourceGear

Shannon J Hager

Dreamweaver MX 2004

Post by Shannon J Hager » Mon Mar 01, 2004 6:04 pm

Dreamweaver MX 2004 actually has VSS as an option now. Most small designers don't use source control but anyone working with me does. It just isn't feasible to have 3 people in 3 off-site locations working on the same files and having them stumble over each other and over-write previous changes.

Don Thimsen

Re: The ONLY feature missing? Dreamweaver Integration

Post by Don Thimsen » Wed Mar 10, 2004 6:47 am

ericsink wrote:... Although we use DreamWeaver for the maintenance of our own corporate website, we are not experts, nor do we really know much about the DreamWeaver community. I have gotten the impression that most DreamWeaver users just don't really use source control at all. Any comment on that?
Our company also uses Dreamweaver MX to maintain our website. We got bit a few time by rouge updates, and implemented source control several years ago. It's kind of fun to periodically refresh the website from source control and see who starts yelling...

Don

Kaminari

Dreamweaver integration would definitely be good.

Post by Kaminari » Wed Mar 24, 2004 10:43 pm

We were happy to see VSS integration in Dreamweaver MX, but now that I have imported my home VSS database to Vault, I am moving to switch our VisualStudio developers to Vault at the office. It would be great to get the Dreamweaver integration in Vault that we had been looking forward to so long with VSS. I have been very impressed with my first few days of testing Vault and want to move over to it right away.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Mar 25, 2004 8:36 am

More about Dreamweaver on this thread:

http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=611
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

Don Thimsen

Post by Don Thimsen » Thu Mar 25, 2004 9:19 am

Has anyone at SourceGear called the folks at Macromedia to see if one of their IDE developers might take on the project? They've already done integration with VSS, so it probably isn't too much of a leap to port to Vault. And it's not like a it would cost them much since vault is free for a single developer version.

Also, there's a group at www.projectseven.com that writes extensions for DW. Might be interesting to talk with them as well.

Don

xdeleon

Post by xdeleon » Wed Sep 08, 2004 11:02 am

The folks at Macromedia provide the "Dreamweaver Source Control Integration API" now... so it's (relatively speaking) easy to write interfaces for source control systems. You can get it <a href="http://www.macromedia.com/support/dream ... l">here</a>

And yes, dreamweaver people use source control. Maybe not joe web designer, but anyone developing web applications, especially in a corporate environment, or anyone who has to maintain all versions of all pages for audit purposes. Lack of dreamweaver support in other environments is the only thing that's keeping us on VSS right now... most of the other tools we've looked at are supported by Websphere app developer, which is the other tool we use.

aconran

dreamweaver integration

Post by aconran » Fri Sep 10, 2004 12:17 pm

Unfortunately not having this feature has pushed my company away from using Sourcegear Vault. We are now looking at another product which integrates into the IDE. In my opinion it is easy enough to use a seperate client to check out and add files and such, but I guess some people just want it in their IDE. Personally I think you guys have a far superior product than this new Source control management tool which we are evaluating.

ericsink

Re: dreamweaver integration

Post by ericsink » Fri Sep 10, 2004 12:47 pm

aconran wrote:Unfortunately not having this feature has pushed my company away from using Sourcegear Vault. We are now looking at another product which integrates into the IDE. In my opinion it is easy enough to use a seperate client to check out and add files and such, but I guess some people just want it in their IDE. Personally I think you guys have a far superior product than this new Source control management tool which we are evaluating.
As much as we hate to lose a potential customer, it is much worse to lose one and never know why. Thanks for telling us.

And by the way, we really do want to DW integration -- we just don't have it yet.

Thanks again,
Eric Sink
Software Craftsman
SourceGear

jaeden

Dreamweaver MX Integration

Post by jaeden » Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:28 am

I also work in a small Group of designers/developers and have some budget to buy VSS, but would really like an excuse to buy vault instead, this is the only thing holding me back.

One possible solution might be to make vault also available via RDS or WebDAV, this way vault would appeal to a wider audience, as well as making it available to dreamweaver (and Studio) MX Users.

shodgetts

dreamweaver

Post by shodgetts » Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:32 am

We also have a team of web designers that just can't use VS.NET for designing web sites--they need the flexibility dreamweaver offers.

I could really use dreamweaver integration as the design team can nolonger participate in the upgrading and support of our web sites.

Sean Schick

WebDav

Post by Sean Schick » Thu Oct 28, 2004 9:33 am

Here at StateFarm we have developers using Dreamweaver with WebDAV IDE integration to Serena Dimensions. Since WebDAV is a highly documented protocol, perhaps that would be an easier solution for Vault.

nathay

Dreamweaver

Post by nathay » Wed Apr 20, 2005 3:03 am

I'm building a team of developers and designers that are all over the US and Canada. We're evaluating Vault and so far it's working great! Nice work sourcegear!

The only hangup right now is it's lack of DW integration. With it, I'd have purchased already. Without it, I've got to explore more alternatives. It's critical for our distributed team to be on common source control and integration is the way to go for these design folks.

Once again, fine job! Hope you can include DW sometime soon.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:19 am

I'll add your votes to the feature request. As Eric Sink said in an earlier post, it's on the wish list, but we have a number of other wish list items to implement first.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager