Unable to login after moving database

If you are having a problem using Fortress, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

ThomU

Unable to login after moving database

Post by ThomU » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:57 pm

G'day,

I recently moved my Fortress database from a Windows XP, SQL 2005, 32-bit machine to a Windows 7, SQL 2008, 64-bit machine. Since doing so, I'm unable to login as admin. I'm using integrated security, and my account has full admin rights to the SQL databases. I thought at first I had fat-fingered entering the admin password when installing the 64-bit Fortress server, so I uninstalled and reinstalled. Same problem. What am I missing?

Thank you,
Thom

lbauer

Re: Unable to login after moving database

Post by lbauer » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:23 am

What version of Fortress are you using?

Are you logging in from the Vault Admin Web Client or the Vault GUI Client?

Can you log in as a different user?

Do you have a Vault Server log? It's called sgvault.log and is in %windir%\temp\sgvault on the server machine. If so, are there any errors?
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

ThomU

Post by ThomU » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:10 pm

Hi Linda,

Thank you for replying so quickly. Your question re: the log gave me the answer. When I looked in the log, I discovered numerous "The EXECUTE permission was denied on the object...". Early on, when I was first trying to install Fortress, I wasn't sure what account to use. After researching a bit about IIS 7.5 and app pools, I tried using the virtual account name "IIS APPPOOL\VaultAppPool" when your install process prompted for an account. That of course didn't work (as I've since learned more about virtual accounts...). After a bit more research, I had granted permission for the virtual account "IIS APPPOOL\VaultAppPool" to have login rights to the 3 existing Vault databases. When that still didn't work, I researched your forum, and discovered a note from you saying to use the Machine account. Which I did, and everything appear to install correctly. But I couldn't access via the admin account. Apparently once I had earlier granted the login rights for "IIS APPPOOL\VaultAppPool", that prevented your install process from correctly adding them in. So while "IIS APPPOOL\VaultAppPool" had login rights, it had no execute rights... A quick trip into the SQL Manager granting it DB_OWNER rights appears to have solved the problem. If this is incorrect, please let me know, otherwise I shall consider the problem solved.

Thank you,
Thom

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:52 pm

Good troubleshooting! Glad you got it working. We've found that Windows 7 doesn't necessarily use the machine account that you designate during the installation, but uses the VaultAppPool account. It's possible the install detected the account was already in SQL Server, and didn't go further to grant the execute permissions.

If there are database connectivity issues, another option is to use SQL Server authentication. The installer creates an sgvaultuser account that Vault users to connect to the databases.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager