Can't rename files in VS 2010

If you are having a problem using Fortress, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

rdoran

Can't rename files in VS 2010

Post by rdoran » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:55 pm

I recently upgraded from VS 2008 to VS 2010. In order to use the Fortress enhanced client I found on your support info that I needed to upgrade the Fortress client, which I did - from version 2.0.1 to 2.0.4. Our Fortress server is still at version 2.0.1. I had previously renamed files that were under version control in VS 2008 with Fortress client and server 2.0.1 , so this is a change in behavior. Is the version mismatch between Fortress client and server causing the problem? I renamed files that were not under version control without any problems.

Beth

Re: Can't rename files in VS 2010

Post by Beth » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:11 pm

Was the Fortress client installed after Visual Studio? If not, uninstall the Fortress client and reinstall it.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

rdoran

Post by rdoran » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:00 am

Yes, client was installed after VS 2010. I did an uninstall and reinstall and still have the same problem. However, I tried a rename on a different file and it worked. So there is something about the file I'm interested in that won't allow the rename. In comparing it to other files in the project (both locally and in the repository) I can't see any differences. If it matters, the files I'm trying to rename are VB forms with their associated dependent files (i.e. form1.vb, form1.designer.vb, form1.resx).

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:09 am

Can you look in the Vault GUI client and see if the file you renamed previously is showing under the correct name?

After upgrading to VS 2010, did you rebind your projects and solutions?

Has an upgraded version of your project been checked in?

Were all your projects converted after upgrading to VS 2010? If so, were the converted versions checked in?
Beth Kieler

rdoran

Post by rdoran » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:44 am

Can you look in the Vault GUI client and see if the file you renamed previously is showing under the correct name?
Yes. I did another test today on a different file. The rename worked and is shown with the changed name in the Fortress client (note that we use Fortress, not Vault).

After upgrading to VS 2010, did you rebind your projects and solutions?
I hadn't done so. I did at your suggestion but I still can't rename one particular file.
In the VS 2010 GUI I change the name, but when I finish it just immediately reverts to the original name.

Has an upgraded version of your project been checked in?
Yes

Were all your projects converted after upgrading to VS 2010? If so, were the converted versions checked in?
Yes

rdoran

Post by rdoran » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:11 pm

I've found that there are other files that I can not rename. As before I can't see why I am able to rename some files but not others. Is it possible that having different Fortress client and server versions is causing the problem? Can you suggest some things that I can try? Thanks.

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:06 pm

Try checking out your project file that holds the path to the file you wish to rename first and then see if you can rename the file.

If that doesn't work, then it might help to take this offline so I can look a little closer at it. Could you send an email to support at sourcegear.com (attn: Beth) with a link to this forum thread?

HS: 221363
Beth Kieler