Vault 4.1.4, SQL Server 2005 client tools, & Windows 7 64-bi

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

Stacey

Vault 4.1.4, SQL Server 2005 client tools, & Windows 7 64-bi

Post by Stacey » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:25 pm

Fresh install of Windows 7 64-bit with SQL Server 2005 on it. Once I installed the Vault 4.0.6 client, I started getting this error message in SQL Server Management Studio:
An error with a message like “Unable to cast COM object of type ‘System.__ComObject’ to interface type ‘Microsoft.VisualStudio.OLE.Interop.IServiceProvider’. This operation failed because the QueryInterface call on the COM component for the interface with IID ‘{6D5140C1-7436-11CE-8034-00AA006009FA}’ failed due to the following error: No such interface supported (Exception from HRESULT: 0×80004002 (E_NOINTERFACE)). (Microsoft.VisualStudio.OLE.Interop)
A variety of things also started occurring, such as:

- When attempting to open a folder in Windows Explorer, the folder opens in a new window, even if “Open each folder in the same window” is selected in Folder Options.
- Some links in Internet Explorer didn’t open correctly
- Vault integration with Visual Studio 2008 didn't work.

A coworker was able to run his SSMS as administrator and would avoid the error. As such, he deleted his local profile and it fixed SSMS on his machine. This unfortunately didn't work for me.

Per David Moore's link below, I was able to re-register actxprxy.dll & the ieproxy.dll in the IE program folder and mine worked for a bit. The Windows Explorer issue still manifested, but I could live with that. The Visual Studio integration was still broken though.

Upon removing a profile and creating a new one for other reasons, I lost the "fix" for whatever was wrong. One of the other things we tried was upgrading to the latest 4.1.4 server/client which didn't seem to help me at all. We couldn't upgrade to version 5 due to the .NET 3.5 requirement and our server being stuck on Windows Server 2003 due to manufacturer support (or lack of, thanks HP!), so we couldn't try that option.

But since Windows Explorer was working correctly now and the Vault 4.1.4 integration with Visual Studio 2008 (once manually configured in VS2008 via Tools -> Options) was functional, I just needed the one fix. I was still unable to open SQL Server 2005 Management Studio ... despite re-registering a variety of dlls and trying a large variety of the registry suggestions out on the net.

I tried to apply the SP3 to the SQL Server 2005 client tools on my machine to see if that would help, but that didn't work either. Since this had been a week long process of trying to get all the pieces of Vault to work with my dev tools & Windows 7 reliably, I was pretty much out of ideas since I didn't know where else to look.

Then I paid attention to exactly what dlls I was re-registering ... the solution?

Do not run this: regsvr32 "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\ieproxy.dll"
Instead, run this: regsvr32 "C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\ieproxy.dll"

That finally fixed it for me.

Here are some of the very useful links I ran across:

http://www.davidmoore.info/2009/08/19/s ... er-errors/

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/For ... f01398f2c3

Hopefully this serves as a useful post for people upgrading to Windows 7.

Beth

Re: Vault 4.1.4, SQL Server 2005 client tools, & Windows 7 64-bi

Post by Beth » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:50 am

Thank you for the informative post. As a side note for others that may read this thread, upgrading to Vault 5 or higher should help avoid any issues with Windows 7. The versions mentioned here were not fully tested on Windows 7.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

Jinx

Post by Jinx » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:39 pm

I had this same problem:

Windows 7 32-bit, SQL Server Management Studio 2005, Source Vault Client 5.0.4 (18845)

I had to run regsvr32 on ieproxy.dll and actxprxy.dll

Beth

Post by Beth » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:13 pm

Thank you for posting your solution. I haven't had this happen in any normal tests yet, but I'll watch for other users running into it.

Do you by any chance use the Microsoft Productive Power Tools?
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support