Update comment not always working

If you are having a problem using Fortress, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

Marcel

Update comment not always working

Post by Marcel » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:49 am

Hi,

I think I found another bug in Fortress 2.0.4. The first time I update a comment posted to an item, the update is working fine. The next time Internet Explorer generates a "Error on page" in the statusbar and the comment cannot be updated. I tested with Internet Explorer 8.0 and Firefox 3.0.9.

Regards,
Marcel

Marcel

Comments on Item Tracking in Fortress 2.0

Post by Marcel » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:20 am

By the way, I find it annoying that when I click the update button, the screen jumps back to the begin of the page. You have to scroll back down to the comment you want to update.

Generally, I like some concepts of Item Tracking in Fortress 1.x better.
* Adding a new comment about the last submitted comment forces the user to scroll back up to the top of the page to locate the 'add-comment' tab. When clicking the tab all listed comments disappear. Not very handy when one wants to comment on them (extra clicks and scrolls are necessary to read them).
* Attachments cannot be attached to a comment but only to the item in general (which were both possible in Fortress 1.x). This forces scrolling between the comment describing information about the attachment and the attachment tab in Fortress at the top of the page. It can also make looking up the concerned attachment harder. Maybe you could have both; the attachment tab would display a summary of all attachments.
* When updating a comment the screen jumps back to the begin of the page.
* Font is a bit too large.
* General view is less clearer because of the used color scheme (I know it's personal).

Marcel

Re: Update comment not always working

Post by Marcel » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:50 am

I think the same problem is also occuring when new attachments are added. The first attachment is processed fine, the second attachment generates an error message.

Marcel

Post by Marcel » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:29 am

Hi, it seems that the problem with updating the comment is not occuring for all Fortress items. I just updated a comment in another Fortress item and that was working fine. But updating the comment in the item which I tested yesterday still generates the error message. Don't know what the differences are between those what is causing the error.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:37 am

Does the attachment or comment get added despite the error message?

What happens when you refresh the page?
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

Marcel

Post by Marcel » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:56 am

The comment is not added, because the page is not refreshed and (not) showing the input box to update the comment. I think the same thing happens with regard to the attachments (haven't retested this).

When I refresh the page when the error message (error text in the statusbar of Internet Explorer) is shown, the page is reloaded and I can update the comment without errors.
Yesterday I got a Fortress error several times, saying something about the server and I should log back on.

I also noticed this morning something weird when adding an attachment. The first time the new attachment was shown, but the second time the new attached file was not shown, although the attachment tab did show "Attachments (2)".

Looks like all problems are caused by some kind of caching problem?

[edit:] The following Fortress error is shown "Error 500: The Server is unable to process your request, click the login button to go back to the login page". This happens when the second comment update generates the error message and one navigates to another project using the project dropdown listbox.
Last edited by Marcel on Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:12 am

Are there any errors in the Fortress Server log that correspond to the failure?

It's called sgvault.log and is in %windir%\temp\sgvault on the server machine.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

Marcel

Post by Marcel » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:05 am

No there aren't any errors in the log that correspond to the failure.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:56 pm

I'd suggest we schedule a remote assist session where I can take a closer look. Please email support at sourcegear.com, Attn: Linda and we'll set up a time. Please include a link to this forum post.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear