Item tracking available for free user?

If you are having a problem using Fortress, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

DosMan

Item tracking available for free user?

Post by DosMan » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:49 pm

I'm a single developer and thought I'd move to Fortress from SourceSafe -- a nice upgrade for free. I have the source control feature working fine, but can't get anywhere with item tracking. Is this featured disabled for free users? I was able to create a project but when I try to access it I get FailProjectPermissionDenied error. I created a new group, with admin as the sole member, and it shows up on the Project Access page, but in the section below no users are listed.

Beth

Re: Item tracking available for free user?

Post by Beth » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:13 pm

If you are logged in as admin can you access it?

Item tracking should be available, so this will take finding out why you can't access it.

What happens if you create another project?

Are you trying to access it through the web client?
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

DosMan

Post by DosMan » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:33 pm

I am logged on as admin using the web client. Now that I know it should work I did more experimenting. I checked the project options "Allow External Submissions" and "Enable Public Items", and I got a lot further. I reached a web page to add an item, but when I clicked Submit, I got "Error 500: The Server is unable to process your request, click the login button to go back to the login page". Can't get past that now.

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:47 am

Which OS had you installed this on?
Beth Kieler

DosMan

Post by DosMan » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:31 am

This is installed on Small Business Server 2008 -- essentially Windows Server 2008 and IIS 7.0. I am running Fortress in 32-bit mode so I can use Handoff for VSS. (Getting IIS to work in 32-bit mode was a bit tricky, because SBS installed a 64-bit-only compression module. But I found a 32-bit version of the module, and the source control side of things, including Handoff, is working fine.)

I've had no trouble creating the item tracking fields, and these show up in the dropdowns on the Add Item page. However, the Assignee and Resolver have no choices -- I would have expected "admin" to be available.

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:29 pm

I don't think admin counts as a user to assign things to. Try creating one user account. The free user is that one account outside of admin. The admin account is mostly used for administrating the Fortress installation and not intended to be a user.
Beth Kieler

DosMan

Post by DosMan » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:16 pm

I had thought that admin was the only user. I added another user and logged in as that user, which did show up in the Resolver dropdown. However, I still get the "Error 500" when I submit a new item.

I tried the External Add link, and it immediately gives an error from IIS:
"Server Error in '/Fortress' Application.
Data is Null. This method or property cannot be called on Null values."
followed by a stack trace.

DosMan

Post by DosMan » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:10 pm

So are there no suggestions on how to resolve the "Error 500: The Server is unable to process your request, click the login button to go back to the login page"? This still happens whenever I try to submit a new item to Item Tracking (now logged in as user instead of admin).

Beth

Post by Beth » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:51 pm

Could you check your settings in the IIS Manager on the Fortress folder and either post those settings or send them in an email? If you send an email, direct itl to support at sourcegear.com (attn: Beth) with a link to this forum thread. The kinds of things I'd like to see is if there is anonymous access, what the permissions on the folder are, verify that it uses the Vault App Pool, etc.
Beth Kieler

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:04 pm

I wanted to post an update on the resolution to this issue. For future users that may have the same issue, go to the Fortress admin web page and check on the entries for the item tracking fields. Did it automatically populate with default settings for status, time estimate, platform, etc? This is is one of the symptoms this user had.

Before attempting to resolve this issue, backup your sgvault, sgmaster, and sgdragnet databases that you currently have.

The resolution for this user was to uninstall, but choose the option to keep the databases. Then delete the sgdragnet database. Reinstall Fortress. Fortress will create the sgdragnet database again.

HS: 221381
Beth Kieler

carlossalas

Post by carlossalas » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:18 pm

I'm having an incredible issue on CLC capabilities, first of all I'm using Perl and trying to connect to a server but haven't found a lib or something related. So i managed myself to call commands over console and use the CLC instead, it work great but i was testing and testing and for some reason i don't find a way to manage items from it. From my perspective this console client as the desktop client work on the SourceControl side of the fortress server but i don't see any functionality or service to the Bug (item) tracking service.

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:48 pm

The CLC does do mostly source control functions.

What you will want to check out is the Client API. It's available for download from our Fortress downloads page: http://www.sourcegear.com/fortress/downloads.html. Documentation is inside the zip file. Also, we have a forum section dedicated to examples: http://support.sourcegear.com/viewforum.php?f=39.
Beth Kieler